New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

I actually thought that way, so I upgraded one of my showcases made of concrete to it. Little did I know it would actually bring it closer to the real-life edition.

1 Like

Can you show some pictures of it? I’d like to refresh my eyes by looking at something better than what my results ended up becoming

2 Likes

I can agree with you in regards to sand and the like, since that’s definitely not the originally intended use, but grass definitely needs either a rework or a “dry/dead grass” variant. The current grass looks way too smooth and wet - even with Brightness levels set to 5 it is still incredibly wet-looking.

1 Like

There are a shocking number of posts in this thread where developers are just ripping on the new materials without even bothering to turn on PBR or adjust the render quality settings in the standalone Studio build. So many screenshots in posts here were taken with Studio at such a low render quality level that there isn’t even antialiasing on the part edges!

If you’re not going to enable Future lighting, zero out the Lighting ambient settings, set Environment Diffuse and Specular to 1.0, and set your edit quality to 21, then you’re not seeing what the new materials really look like at all. You’re seeing a bad contact paper version. You won’t see normal maps or have anisotropic filtering on the textures if you’re on a low-end PC and letting Studio automatically set your quality level, you have to open the Settings->Render and set quality level manually to 21.

This, BTW, is what the new diamondplate looks like, it’s not grey plastic:

7 Likes

If you need to use Future lighting just to see materials properly, you have other issues to worry about in the first place… A lot of developers mentioned this exact issue with the previous thread, and they specifically didn’t want to enable nor use Future because it’s more expensive, especially on low-end.

6 Likes

I’m gonna be blunt.

These still look terrible for a lot of games, and relying on devs updating their builds to accommodate for this change is a cop-out. I think many builders can agree with me in saying that no one wants to spend hours updating the texture of each part just for this update to work for them.

I decided to plug the newer textures into my Roblox client and see how it would look in a few games I enjoy, and I was not impressed by many of them.
Before

After

Before

After

The issue is that many games are going to suffer aesthetically due to this update essentially being forced upon developers. The new textures are welcome, but it’s only going to create issues having them downright replacing old textures when the new ones look so different.

15 Likes

Nooooo not our boy Diamond plate! D:

2 Likes

Everybody wants that rather than ruining the aesthetic of potentially millions of games for no good reason.

2 Likes

i’m surprised it looks cartoonier than it does realistic, damn

I do hope Roblox plans to let us import Custom Materials maybe a year after they release this, because letting us draw and import exactly what textures we want in our games would let each developer achieve their unique artstyle, while also letting Roblox go one step further into becoming a more sophisticated game engine

4 Likes

Surfaces are obsolete and they will probably be removed from roblox soon. I advise took look for different options for aesthetic.

1 Like

Uh, no they aren’t. They’re not removing stud surface textures, they’ve only removed the Surface properties.

1 Like

Maybe a misunderstanding then.
Whats ur game bud ill check it out later.

1 Like

You don’t need to use Future lighting; the diffuse and specular settings work with all lighting modes. My point was that people were jumping into complaining without experimenting with any of the lighting settings, just taking screenshots at lowest quality settings and posting “look how bad these are”.

2 Likes

I am personally okay with these new changes, like yes I understand that it breaks old games, but people aren’t getting is that we’ve had the old textures for so long, that people got used to them and most importantly they learnt how to make them look good, how to make them work, with this new one I know for a fact that some textures are probably going to be touched up, after awhile people will be able to re-adjust and adapt to them and be able to make MUCH better looking things.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to say that as well as I am very much enjoying messing around with these materials to take a swing at modeling and map making cause they are honestly amazing and I would love to eventually make a game with them

1 Like

A lot of details about my surface-heavy game is kinda confidential, I’ve only posted a few leaks and development is still in process. It may take a few more months for a public testing/release

2 Likes

Goodluck and don’t quit. I’ve seen a lot of ideas die because people lacked motivation.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

There’s a lot of great feedback in this thread that makes the case for both why it could be a great thing for the platform vs giving it as an option. Trust me when I say this is the same thing we debated for many weeks before we arrived where we are. Please keep the feedback coming. I promise, that I am reading every response here and I will be consulting with the team to make sure we proceed in the most productive way possible.

20 Likes

Well, at least we know that Roblox DOES read feedback, even if they don’t do what a lot of people here request.

Also, apologies for acting excessively hostile towards this update. I just felt like venting for some reason. I’ll try to act more civilized regarding this topic.

3 Likes

I don’t mind getting the raw feedback. Some of my old posts are, uh, pretty blunt. So no issues with me if you state things as you see it.

14 Likes

Thank you for reading, but please take our feedback into consideration - keeping the current set around, even if just not on mobile specifically, would be of great benefit to all. I don’t think anyone in this thread means to be hostile at you or anyone else working on the materials, but rather about them being forced - if the aspect of them being forced onto all games was withdrawn, I am sure everyone would be much more appreciative of the new materials.

If new ones are to be added over time anyway then that cancels out any performance complaint regarding keeping the current ones; people would prefer, generally, to wait longer for a game to load if it was the original and correct product that they were seeing.

4 Likes