New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

how do i make a texture if i want to continue to make parts and terrain look like they have the old materials

3 Likes

Personally just glad that I don’t have any builds I will need to go through to make them compatible with the new materials; I may have an unpopular opinion here, but I believe that standard ROBLOX materials are genuinely seeing an improvement from the old ones. I’m not one to go too into depth into these materials; however, on the surface they look just fine to me.

It’s going to have an extremely negative effect on low-poly style games, and yes, the Terrain materials have more flaws to them than ever and there may only be a month until release, but that’s also a month of listening to the wider audience unless Roblox is the dictatorial platform multiple people believe it is to be.

There are multiple flaws, but like I said earlier, I’m not one to get too into details or into the mind of another developer - as I’m just going off of my own opinion and experiences -, but I personally think they’re fine (obviously with some exceptions).

2 Likes

I have a question on this:
Why is it that this is forced ( as I read )? And I still have the old materials why?

3 Likes

just because it looks good to you (somehow), doesnt mean everyone else likes it. You have clearly seen examples of devs complaining about how this ruins their games

3 Likes

I’ve also seen developers using the materials to improve their games massively.

4 Likes

Seriously after all the feedback and people SAYING “KEEP THE OLD MATERIALS” and have these as an addition they still are going to outright replace them… this annoys me so much. So disappointed in Robloxes decision on this despite the majority of the feedback was against totally removing the old textures and replacing them with these.

My opinion still stands the old is better in situations, and build scenarios.

Please at least allow us to chose the textures for terrain and parts… I honestly like the some of current terrain textures much better. Not to mention most of the part materials.

Don’t get me wrong some of the new ones look great, however forcing us to use them and no have a choice, in my opinion is actually limiting us.

“we concluded that supporting the old set of materials behind a setting is not viable” it’s not a toggle setting we want, just keep the old and add the new, maybe name them differently, and make a folder system, so old is under one category and new is in another. Under the material drop down.

I’ve been building on the platform since 2013, that’s kinda a long time considering. I have come to know the current textures, and find my own way to use them, be it dark grey brick for roofs or grass for furniture, the list goes on. This change will force people to try to change their building style, its like telling an artist who has their own style, that they can no longer use that style that they made for them self with years and years of work.

Please listen to your community and reconsider this change, PLEASE keep the old, and have these as an addition to the current ones, Not doing this does not look good considering its a popular platform, other platforms would take the communities feedback on this issue more seriously, and work around it. Thanks and if this post seems like I am not happy, truthfully I’m not, and I find it hard to be sorry.

to be honest if I wanted a material that was different I’d use the surface materials

18 Likes

Exactly! It goes both ways so why is this change forced?

5 Likes

Why do I still have the old materials? I need to know did they remove it or has my studio not updated? Because these new (terrible) materials I do not have :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I would like this update if they didn’t replace it completely, and at least put the old ones in the new library. Now all my builds with materials look weird, and I can’t change it back. Besides that though, the materials are ok and I might even use them in future builds. Overall, if roblox changes this so that old builds can still have their old materials, and includes both types in the library, this would be a good update! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I apologize, I’m not trying to be rude, or anything, but are you even considering how obvious some of these visual downgrades are? A lot of the posts seen here are OBJECTIVELY worse, and on top of that not everyone’s making a stupid hyper-realistic game just to appeal to some shareholder at the stock market. Did you ever consider that?

5 Likes

i used the default grey as a base for all of them to show the problems the new textures currently have, the big one im worried about is how extremely noticeable the repeating textures are compared to the old ones.

im in no way against the platform moving forward but i do think these textures still need some more time to be finalised

2 Likes

The mere fact you’re ready to ruin the aesthetic for thousands of “experiences” goes to show how incompetent Roblox as a company really is. You won’t become the next Unreal Engine with a change of textures. Roblox needs to support the developers with tools, not force them to use something. We’ve been asking for custom materials for terrain, but what do we get instead? A slap to the face. Mesh Deformation was a big step up, an amazing step up, but this, this is just pure disappointment. Forcing every game to use realistic textures will make them expressionless. Games meant to be stylized will now be ruined. Countless other, non-realistic, designs will now be ruined. Don’t force the developers to work with your agenda, especially one as disappointing as this…

31 Likes

Roblox’s naivety into branching out into an actual “Professional game platform” when ironically their own engine doesn’t seem to “run professional quality” games. If we’re taking it that way it’s just a shot into their own foot lol, especially with the majority of the platform being mobile-driven and last time I remembered, phones don’t run exactly like an RTX 2060 or above

5 Likes

I get what you mean because this one right here just took the screenshot doesnt look repeated:

3 Likes

Stop trying to force people to take this new update. It’ll ruin literal decades worth of builds. It’s like ROBLOX is actively trying to hurt and erase the history it has in favor of pushing new updates that the majority of the developers actively pushed against. This feels insanely tone deaf, breaking millions of games for the sake of “progress”.

30 Likes

I was expecting this. I’m 99% sure that the survey was not intended to gather feedback, but rather to misguide developers into thinking they had a chance at their desires getting considered. In actuality, they probably had this planned from the start because the realistic visuals in very situational builds will appeal more to the stockholders.

9 Likes

You’re alright. :slight_smile:

I’m just going to leave this here, but I personally believe these materials are an upgrade and I will be able to adapt to this update.

3 Likes

Lmaooo Roblox be thinkin’ they’re some sort of big company like Apple where they can introduce anything and it will work out in the end

17 Likes

So you’re telling me that I’ll have to update all of my builds just because you want to completely replace the old materials with the new ones? I find this to be absolutely ridiculous, clearly you guys did not consider the way developers would feel about this, even in the slightest.

14 Likes

You have to really consider how situationally they have to be used and how much less versatile they are. People want the old ones back because despite being objectively of a worse quality, they were way more useful for other things.

For example, what I posted was an attempt at making clothing without it looking like plastic. The new sand doesn’t work well for this, but the old one worked great for that (and many more things might I add.) The same can be said for other materials, like grass, slate, and concrete.

9 Likes