New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

You can’t get them to work fully on Player because certain configurations are coded into the exe itself (source: I changed content, PlatformContent and shaders folders, the tiling issues still happened).

2 Likes

When it will be out then I will just upload the old textures

1 Like

If they continuously released new materials, the larger size is inevitable either way.

4 Likes

True, but it would be way bigger with the old ones. Just cause something will slowly get worse and worse, doesn’t mean you should make it a lot worse.

1 Like

If the ending point would be the same, what matters with the in-between. More specifically, how many people get mad at it. Looking at the 3 threads created on this topic, keeping both old and new materials in some capacity to be used simultaneously is the way to go.

2 Likes

Usually less, and even less if Roblox fixes their updates. Roblox has the worst updating technique: Create new download, delete old one. Rubbish.

I have a feeling of déjà vu, I think I’ve actually seen some new materials images on Google years prior to this. I usually hallucinate a lot though so I’m unable to tell if it was one or if these snapshots of the material were real.

2 Likes

Ever heard of Display Names, script moderation drama of 2020 etc? Those are other proofs that they actually don’t care.

5 Likes

Anybody and everybody who is saying that nothing is confirmed, this.

6 Likes

New grass texture is very strange, why does it have no detail when viewing from distance? It looks very cartoonish compared to the other textures, more like hay than grass. To me it seems like it was designed purely for roblox’s decoration grass but this completely ruins it uses as a normal material

5 Likes

1st of all, I’m glad your listing to people and not forcing something onto everyone else. I think ROBLOX should always listen to their users.
2nd of all, I’m not sure if this was in the list of items you were gonna add but if it wasn’t can you please add bark? I think having bark would be a really cool part to have, it would make trees look very nice.

1 Like

put a value into lighting that will toggle the new materials on and off, so if developers want new materials they can have new materials, but if developers want the current materials they can have the current materials.

2 Likes

i wuld put it in workspace, as that is where the terrain material colors are

No. We want to be able to use both sets simultaneously as they both run off the same engine. Anything less would be an insult to developer creativity and freedoms.

4 Likes

If you’re going to have both Legacy and New materials, why not just use them simultaneously? There’s no need for a toggle if you’re going to have both readily available.

6 Likes

Mayhaps it could be a dropdown menu that allowed users to select:
[Updated]
[Classic]
[Merged]

A check mark under the properties tab that says something like “use legacy material” would be fine, just fine.

While Im on the topic of properties, one that toggles the visibility of transparent parts through another part. Glass is unusable because you cannot see many other transparent parts through it.

working transparency function for forcefield so you don’t have to put multiple parts over each other to get a more opaque forcefield

The reflectance property does work with new materials, which is annoying for things like metal which are far too reflective.

another material similar to neon but without as much glow and with more options for color would also be nice, or just a number value for how much neon glows

2 Likes

It wouldn’t :man_facepalming:

The whole point of our opposition towards this being a forced update was so that we were given the opportunity to be able to use both sets of materials simultaneously.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have both sets running under the same system under a completely gated-off “one or the other” system, and it would put the pre-existing materials at risk of removal should an intern decide it’s a good idea in a couple of years because the toggle is labelled “legacy”.

Limiting developer freedoms for the sake of limiting developer freedoms is unacceptable.

3 Likes

I disagree. :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

Should you be unaware, lists are long. To put that in to perspective, this:

is the current list of roblox materials

Plastic
Metal
Ice
Marble
Glass
Wood
Corroded Metal
Brick
Pebble
Forcefield
Wood Planks
Diamond Plate
Sand
Cobblestone
Slate
Foil
Fabric
Smooth Plastic
Concrete
Grass
Granite
Neon

Now, lets add new materials as well as those mentioned in the material expansion, the terrain materials, and 5 more spaces as stated here they intend to continuously release materials.

hypothetical list of materials

Plastic
Legacy Metal
Legacy Ice
Legacy Marble
Glass
Legacy Wood
Legacy Corroded Metal
Legacy Brick
Legacy Pebble
Forcefield
Legacy Wood Planks
Legacy Diamond Plate
Legacy Sand
Legacy Cobblestone
Legacy Slate
Legacy Foil
Legacy Fabric
Smooth Plastic
Legacy Concrete
Legacy Grass
Legacy Granite
Neon
Metal
Ice
Marble
Wood
Corroded Metal
Brick
Pebble
Wood Planks
Diamond Plate
Sand
Cobblestone
Slate
Foil
Fabric
Concrete
Grass
Granite
Asphalt
Basalt
Cracked Lava
Glacier
Ground
Leafy Grass
Limestone
Mud
Pavement
Rock
Salt
Sandstone
Snow
Thatch
Wood Bark (Pine)
Moss
Carpet
Tile Surface (ceramic)
Marshland (dense/sparse emergent)
Leafy Dirt Ground
Snowy Grass
Jungle Floor
Snowy Rock
Dried Leaf Ground
Gravel Ground
Plains Grass Ground
Stucco Plaster
Cardboard Paper
Painted Metal
Iron (refined)
Diamond
Fur (short hair)
Rubber
Full Grain Leather
Denim
continuously releasing new part and terrain materials slot 1
continuously releasing new part and terrain materials slot 2
continuously releasing new part and terrain materials slot 3
continuously releasing new part and terrain materials slot 4
continuously releasing new part and terrain materials slot 5

before it becomes an issue, swap the word legacy with new
Now, if you were unaware, that is a much longer list that would be a living hell to navigate. As I recall, they stated that they were going to update the way you apply these materials as they were also aware that that list would be a living hell to navigate.

I have concluded that a list that resembles something more like the half-life weapons selector UI would be a logical step in the name of organization

However the word excessive comes to mind.

If you were also unaware, a check mark under properties it not limiting your freedom. Its a check mark under properties.

After reading your reply for the 4th time to explain every issue I have with it (and also the rude :man_facepalming:), I have come to the conclusion that you may have assumed that I meant a property under workspace, and not under each individual part, however my previous points stand.

I would also like to add that roblox does not like things that are “too confusing for new players” which I find my solution to not be.

4 Likes

New textures look insane in my game, I hope this gets released soon!

1 Like

Can you please just give us a better reason on why we can’t have both the old materials and the new materials in the game?? I mean it’d just be easier to place both into the game and make both parties happy. I just want to know why you guys cannot do that. I enjoy the new update, but it is going to ruin my games, and I’m sure others are feeling the same way. At first it sounded like you guys were going to make it where you can use both but that is really annoying that you aren’t going to do that. :confused:
I mean yes, whether the new or old they both will take long loading times depending on the computer you use. And yes we’re happy we’re running a market now, but you’re replacing choices instead of adding more choices to make more creativity.
Or can’t you update the old materials to look the same, but have less loading time/pixels. And then add on the new materials on the side? There’s many options to fix the long loading process, that can be and don’t have to be challenging.

3 Likes