New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

ok. This update doesn’t really change much on the materials part. But I’m just gonna say this again.

Let us keep the current materials along with the new materials seamlessly. This can make old games actually keep their look and lots of new creativity can be made with both materials

2 Likes

So you’re just going to let everyone else’s builds be ruined with no way to properly re-adjust them, then?

Was it really necessary to push this change BEFORE custom materials were accessible?

7 Likes

I just checked every single material in the entire build, absolutely nothing looks even close to the desired effect.

Your original choice of material wasn’t very aesthetically pleasing, but Roblox’s update (without a doubt) made it better. Added a comparison below with your reference behind it (left old, right new)

3 Likes

then dont replace them, it couldnt be more simple

2 Likes

This looks very nice. But I think there should be a choice to continue using the old material textures. Really hope you allow developers to continue using the old textures and not forcing developers to use the new ones if they don’t want too.

3 Likes

All of these complaints, and yet the old materials aren’t staying. What a disappointment.

6 Likes

Here is a compilation of images taken in several different places / builds. The new materials were copied and pasted from the v1.5 build into the normal Roblox Player.

Rogue Lineage (2019) (taken from the menu)

Armored Patrol v9.5 (2018)

Build by @suprardude64 (2021)

Hellreaver Arena (2020)

HOURS (2020)

I personally believe these materials in nearly every case to be complete downgrades from the older ones. While I believe that the new ones can work when designed with in mind, these new materials completely destroy the already pre-established artstyle of many places and builds on this platform.

16 Likes

Just a few minor problems with that:

• Can’t change terrain materials
  • Textures don’t have PBR (normal maps, etc.), and SurfaceAppearance doesn’t work on regular parts and doesn’t have tiling support
  • Need 6 Texture instances per part (one for each side)
  • That would take forever to do, especially for large maps
11 Likes

So apparently, compared to a generally smooth and subtle effect to the jacket to make it look like it has a bit of texture, you would prefer if there are massive white specs and rocks jutting out of the jacket, as well as unnaturally large wavy lines with too much contrast.

I am at a loss for words on how anyone can actually think that. Again, there’s no good alternative besides a boring, smoothplastic appearance, because every other texture will look infinitely worse than sand.

2 Likes

I love it how most of the detail in the new textures is in the PBR maps and not the diffuse texture, completely ruining indoor environments that use ShadowMap, Voxel, or Legacy lighting, and forcing developers to use Future lighting to actually get the desired detail…

despite the fact that Future lighting is obnoxiously resource consuming and Roblox’s whole thing is valuing performance and compatibility over quality.

9 Likes

So apparently, compared to a generally smooth and subtle effect to the jacket to make it look like it has a bit of texture, you would prefer if there are massive white specs and rocks jutting out of the jacket, as well as unnaturally large wavy lines with too much contrast.

I don’t know if one of us is mismatching the pictures but the one on the right is definitely more “smooth and subtle”

What does it look like :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also one thing to say about the new materials.

The materials overall look great.

… but only on future lighting

other lightings just make it look too smooth, especially some materials like concrete in some indoor scenes

3 Likes

I like most of the new materials, however, forcing it to replace old ones, I do not agree. Like many others have said, at least make it an option. I understand it may be quite the difficult decision, as for games having to replace each one, and can be a dilemma. Apart from that, I look forward to the new customization for these material!

3 Likes

honestly they look okay when used in a certain style, but most people don’t build that way.

future lighting is resource intensive and reverts to shadowmap on lower graphics settings, most places don’t use it. not only that but using custom textures to keep builds looking like they do would also be resource intensive (plus no pbr), which pretty much means that in order to make builds look even okay, you need a better computer

2 Likes

I didn’t realize the lighting options took up such little memory. Thank you for the explanation.

I still struggle to understand why ROBLOX can’t make the legacy materials available as an option rather than a forced replacement. It’s hard for me to comprehend just how much of a difference an extra set of materials can make in loading times and storage, but if it’s truly a memory issue, then could ROBLOX at least release an easily accessible library of the old materials as custom materials once they are released?

Again, I understand modernizing the platform, but at this cost? It seems like there must be a better solution which satisfies both parties.

1 Like

The one on the right has massive white specks dotted all over it as well as all the sand’s “waves” on it. Because the brickcolor is dark, the old sand doesn’t make those lines as visible, and the old sand also doesn’t have the white specks. I have absolutely no idea how you can consider the one on the right superior for a jacket material.

Sure, the new one is smoother in that it’s lacking depth in more spots and as a result looks flatter, but the waves are obnoxiously contrasting and the white specks make it unfit for use.

3 Likes

Well yeah im sure these are going to look great in some scenarios, but we dont all build in the same style do we? this is kinda what this update will force us to do

4 Likes

Now I can understand changing materials, but such a substantial change will impact a lot of places, especially as many have been build with certain materials in place, as some people have already said. In terms of the bricks (which I show here), this profile is quite realistic and close to real life, which works very well for many of my places. Not only will this update for this particular material ruin many of my builds, but it will also impact the immersiveness and quality of my ““experiences””. So please, for realism’s sake, add at least an option to use the older materials, especially for older places. It is the least one can do, as this will have such an impact on so many games. Some of these textures will also have great impact on my historical games, and using custom textures will only increase performance issues.

These new textures, especially the brick, turned this historical station into a plastic mock-up.

15 Likes

Here is the result with some furnitures I built some times ago now:

I used the same lighting 'n stuff

Focus on the bed and give your opinion
  • I prefer the old textures
  • I prefer the new textures

0 voters

Thanks for your feedback !

6 Likes