New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

That looks incredible!!! i cant wait for this, so does that mean this will be coming out soon?

3 Likes

Nvm it’s a beta only i’m gonna try this out right now!

4 Likes

Could there be an option to use these as materialvarients with the new update?

7 Likes

These are already built in materials which you can still use while using the material variant, and i think when the entire update releases for material variants it won’t over ride already existing materials it’ll create a new material for you instead of having to go to fabric and see the material you already placed in to replace it, all i’m saying is you won’t have to replace already existing materials soon i think

5 Likes

The new textures are a bonus for me, I like the majority of them and want to work with them. Some could use some more work and some of them have a color tint that kind of bugs me like the wood has a red tint like a bunch of clover mites went splat on it. I rather they all be grey and whatever color I put on them is exactly that color. I’m also uncertain how friendly these textures are for optimization.

Just add another property tab for materials retro/new and everyone is happy. I want the old textures to still be available, simple.

11 Likes

You can make your own custom materials now just in beta though it’s not fully released

8 Likes

I’m not sure if the new built-in terrain and part materials are still being worked on because of the new material service thing. I’m not hearing any news about this for a while. :cry:

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s gonna be finished cause why would it be if we could make our own materials? but who know’s maybe they’re still working on it

4 Likes

This thread isn’t locked, the other two threads on this topic are. If the MaterialService was this, they quite probably would have locked this thread.

7 Likes

This is combo-build-script question (Sorry: Did not know this was a Feedback Thread):

Forget that Roblox spawns you onto a Flat-Earth:

I have a RISK-like wargame set on a globe (No humanoids or avatars), so 3D Space:
Around 2000 Tiles (countries; in RISK) need a Fog-of-War graphic; initially:
A Sphere with a Decal of a cloud on it, looks ugly (but if you know better; lay it on me… I want simple).
2000 Particle Emitters; no work-ie on my one-year-old comp…! Forget it…
I have not tried other FX…

Must be able to lift the cloud-cover on each Tile individually. No need to re-cover Tile.

Solutions? Any?

I came here because I thought: Hey what about Terrain?
I could probably write code to erase the voxels in-range of one Tile; but has this already been invented? Need link…

Which Material, and Color, and etc, would you use for the cloud cover of a planet?
Or, if not cloud; which other Material would look good surrounding a planet?

Is Roblox Fog suitable for decorating, individually, 2000 10x10x10, 3D Tiles?

Thanks in advance…

3 Likes

You can also get the PBR maps of the materials inside the Roblox Studio files textures

2 Likes

Where do you find these textures? I’d love to make all Roblox materials PBR.

3 Likes

Actually u cant get pure texture maps but u ll have adjust them to get the pbr. Roblox>YourVersion>PlatformContent>pc>textures

5 Likes

Hello Sorcus,

I may have an idea on how you may find a good compromise for textures in ROBLOX.
I have seen you, and your team, have made something wonderful with Textures in ROBLOX.

I think that, first of all, you will never be able to release textures that are going to be pleasant for everyone, and that’s why the brand new MaterialService got released : to bring the possibility of retexturing ROBLOX as the developer wants.
This idea is simply astonishing ! But some improvements can be made (though they must be hard to)

• Add the ability to create our own texture.

See, when MaterialService was released, I immediately saw all the things we would be able to do with it. But I see that, there is only one issue…

When you announced new textures, you came up with brand new ideas like Cardboard, Lava, and so on. It is great and, some people may like the texture, and some may not.

I think that the best solution to make everyone happy is : allowing us to create our OWN materials.

Steps:

• Go in MaterialService's properties, and click “Create a new material”
  • Create a new MaterialVariant, and assign it the texture, the normalmap, …
  • Assign the latter to the new material you have just created.

I know this must be hard because of Enum table that must be static, and some other stuff that may cause several issues. But it’s an idea you can work on.

• Add the terrain textures to parts anyway

Yes, some problems are noticed, but you can always fix them !
And, after having read every post we have made in this topic, you know that textures will be pleasant to some, and not to some others.

Nowadays, some people may say that default materials are good and sufficient, some others may say they are outdated, and some others still might think that the game is ugly and needs a brand new fresh paintcoat.

You will never satisfy anyone. This is the idea you have to keep in mind (and I’m sure you do !)

But, one thing you can do (and I’m waiting for it !) is: making parts having both Part Materials and Terrain Materials.
This is a proposal you had, and it’s great actually!

Terrain textures may not be that good on parts right now, but it’s still better to have them and modify them using the MaterialService, this is to me the best compromise you may find.

I am creating a little poll embedded on this post. Users will be able to vote for what they think is the best solution.

What do you think is the best solution?
  • Create our own materials with MaterialService.
  • Make parts having both Part Materials and Terrain Materials.
  • Wait for a better solution and don’t change anything.

0 voters

EDIT:

Sincerely,
Varonex_0

3 Likes

Both. While the ability to create our own materials (and put them in a toolbox) would greatly benefit artists, I have a creeping suspicion that devs won’t use them at all because they don’t like the toolbox for anything made by anyone besides them. Granted, it will improve the experience for those who don’t care.

The new materials which we have been waiting for since December 2020 would benefit those who don’t want to use the toolbox, aswell as provide an updated look to roblox, which is what was the original goal of this update.

I, personally, don’t see why it would have to be one or the other.

edit: unshockingly I just realized that I took the exact same position like 6 months ago when the argument was “have both sets of materials in the game or have a toggle switch between them” lol

6 Likes

It’s been 5+ months, and I’m still not able to open the Studio Beta, what am I doing wrong?

5 Likes

This update I think has been put on the back burner. They are focusing on custom materials at the moment.

9 Likes

They are focusing on the Custom Materials update cause they are going to have a bool value in the MaterialService instance for “Enable2022Materials” which will allow you to use the materials that were used in this post.

5 Likes

It’s good to see roblox listened to the community with a good solution for the materials by just doing custom materials.

7 Likes

That’s not what “on the backburner” means. This is still coming, just as a separate update from custom materials. They otherwise would have closed this thread as they have the other two or three on new materials.

4 Likes