New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

Why is the wood in the picture you showed us different then the one we have currently?
Pretty sure this is wood. But why isn’t this one used. I think it looks a better then the current one. Will this one come in the future? Only issue I see with this version its that it looks like it tiles more noticeably, but at the same time this isn’t the best look at it since the picture is quite dark.

This might be because its a small picture but the fabric material looks more high res in the pictures you provided

2 Likes

Honestly some of the materials in the original screenshots look better for some reason. Or maybe we never got a decent look at them.

could be something from the material expansion, since those aren’t in the beta.

Either the top is a different type of wood or it’s just they used a different texture. But the fabric material seems to look more high res in the that picture. But it might be because the picture looks a bit low res because its small

The current wood is perfectly fine. That wood in the picture is a combination of good lighting on a good model. Even if it is different, the current wood is a very good material.

2 Likes

Using a script to set a part’s material to something that it cannot take (for example water) immediately crashes on the MacOS Studio.

local Part = Instane.new("Part") Part.Parent = game.Workspace Part.Material = Enum.Material.Water
1 Like

Not really imo. The issue with is, it looks plasticy, too much knots. And just doesnt look that good imo. The one in that picture is not because of good lighting. Actually the lighting is kind of bad for showcasing this material because it’s difficult to see all the details because it’s a bit dark. It’s a very huge difference. Search up wood grain on google, look at images, and notice how different the real life one looks like compared to what we have right now.

I agree that it could use a few less knots. It does look realistic, I have seen wooden windows with that. The old one also looked realistic, my desk has that. The problem is, there are multiple types of wood grain.

2 Likes

Finally tested the new build, Brick got ruined for me :pensive:
But I liked most of the textures changes, here’s what I did:

Most of the new materials can replace the use of old ones depending on what’re doing, very realistic stuff as we see, but it doesn’t help a lot the people who were looking for another style (like cartoony or something…).

I will probably miss the old ones, but I guess we have to keep going forward and improve things. But I hope some of them stay as additional textures separate from the new ones like Cobblestone and brick.

4 Likes

I’ve been using this Studio build exclusively and really loving the new materials.

I’m finding Brick has a visible “LOD” outline visible unless you’re only a couple studs away from it. It’s most noticeable on dark brick and kinda hurts your eyes to look at from normal distances. It’s like two grids being overlaid and it’s a little dizzying.

11 Likes

I don’t really like the new materials, i like building with the old materials because i like the style that they give off rather than the new ones, and it would ruin a lot of not updated games, because some materials completely change and ruin the things that some people use those materials for, like how the new fabric material will now never be used for carpets because of the new look, now it looks like yarn

4 Likes

I’m a frequent poster on this topic because of how I use textures, and how often they are needed. A lot of developers have become so reliant on texture packs to get depth and detail, and this update just sheds those necessary layers to create great games in my opinion.

I will retry the current beta and update this post with my current thoughts.

The texture itself is okay at best, but please, get rid of the eyes. It also has this tinge of plastic look to it, even with specular emissions.

Slate still doesn’t look slate-y enough.

(comparison.) It looks so flat, and less stone-like in comparison to current slate.

Reiterrating what I’ve said before, grass looks more like it went through a trash compactor. There is nothing here popping up that looks PBR.

Wood planks and smooth plastic are emmaculate. Absolutely well done roblox.

3 Likes

Actual wood does have those, they are called knots. Yes, the amount of them should be decreased, but they shouldn’t be completely removed.

1 Like

Weird bug. I just totally broke the textures on these new materials.

Yet some of them underneath still work! So I’m not sure what’s going on. That’s cobblestone on the bottom, and the grass is flat green underneath.

Edit: Re-downloading isn’t fixing this. :frowning: What’s the proper way to reinstall this build? A new download didn’t work.

7 Likes

Although you broke it, Look at how cool that’d look if we had plastic/smooth plastic available for the terrain. That would help out so much for cartoony games that can’t use terrain cause of the materials being too realistic for the theme.

5 Likes

True, :smile: Could be nice to have an option to use smooth terrain like that.

1 Like

Just loaded up my beta and the terrain matterials for grass, cobblestone, and cracked lava seem to be broken. I’ve tested other terrain materials, and their part versions and they seem to be fine.

4 Likes

Sorry, forgot the term. I do woodworking but I don’t experience them unless I handpick a board with them.

They look more like eyes than knots, and they need to remove them or tone them down severely still.

2 Likes

I’m more on the side of toning the amount of them down, and having both types be different materials.

1 Like

I can confirm Cracked Lava isn’t working either. How weird we’re dealing with the exact same materials not loading!

Did you use the “Show Decomposition Geometry” setting in Studio at all?

4 Likes