New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

I’m having the exact same issue with you. I didn’t like open the decomposition geometry or do anything. Doesn’t happen with regular studio. Really strange this just randomly starts happening. I have a feeling it might be happening with everyone and not you and another person.

2 Likes

You’re right. I just had @badcc download the studio build, he’s never downloaded it before, and no Grass, Cobblestone, or Lava Terrain.

5 Likes

Nope, didn’t download it. I wonder whats up with Roblox.

1 Like

Just a shot in the dark for this, but maybe try loading a place you had saved locally before you started having the issue.

1 Like

exactly! we need the smooth plastic terrain!

3 Likes

I noticed the textureless bug on terrain also occurs in the older builds

3 Likes

Coming back to this thread, I see no statements about how this is going to be implemented regarding the older materials and maintaining the originally intended experience.

I sincerely hope Roblox is giving proper, dedicated thought to this, because otherwise there will undoubtedly be an outcry.

7 Likes

I can see inactive developers quitting over this.

6 Likes

Thanks for all of your feedback so far! We’ve been working hard to address your notes, and we have a new build for you which has the following changes:

• Fixed detailing issues on several terrain materials
  • New corroded metal part material

This is our final planned pre-release build to showcase the visual changes and improvements for these shaders. Next, we will shift our attention to QA so that we can prepare to release them.

If you have been experimenting with the preview build, we’d love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to fill out this survey. The feedback you provide will help us determine what we need to do before the full release.

22 Likes

I have not seen the build yet since I am at work so I don’t know if anything other than what you’ve listed has been changed, but what is the difference between what is happening now, and what will happen during QA? There were a lot of troubling issues and important suggestions brought up that don’t sound addressed yet according to your post. E.g. coloration, texture sizing, visibility of detail in low light or indoor light on voxel tech. Something like coloration matching between recolored terrain and part materials sounds more like engineering than QA to me, which is why I ask.

18 Likes

Can you please make it so the individual planks in the wooden plank texture are one stud wide.

37 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like these might have been addressed? The release notes say “addressed detailing issues”, and coloration and texture size both strike me as ‘detail issues’.

I agree with these, however, it seems like these are high priority issues that should be addressed before QA begins. Sounds odd that they’re considering initiating QA on this now, without including any sort of patch notes involving these complaints in particular, which are important for lots of scenarios, both realistic and otherwise.

4 Likes

The tiling is fixed, but brick is still really dark. I hope it’s brightened.

6 Likes

Thank you so much, I was so limited to work on projects due to moving everything to new materials, this is legit a lifesaver! THANK YOU again!!

1 Like

I am looking through this and although some issues have been addressed since the beginning, some things have gotten worse. As I previously mentioned, this new brick material is a massive downgrade and feels borderline unusable for lighter-color parts. I’m not totally sure where the idea of an extremely dark gray grout is coming from and it looks really bad in Bad Business. The earlier version which established a much more neutral gray with slight hue shifting between bricks added a lot, but now it feels like things are going backwards by using a texture that is extremely distinct (in a negative way) and therefore has less ability to be reused across assets. For example:

One of our maps heavily relies on the brick material as well, and it looks like a massive downgrade with this darker grout. Here are some examples of before and after:

The entire mood of the map has been changed because something we previously relied on to give off a “lighter” vibe and break up some of the mundanity of this map is now being changed to be darker. The colors don’t mix nearly as well and this is case where the new brick will not fit this map at all, and we will likely have to do some massive redesigns to the art in it as a whole.

Wood planks are also still not 1 stud thick, despite the many complaints about this from the community. There is no reason for this to be 0.8 studs still and I am hoping this doesn’t get pushed through before that is fixed. Grass is also no longer usable for most tree leaves, as it looks less ambiguous in its depiction and instead just looks like grass clippings.

To touch on terrain for a moment, the issue of the ‘LeafyGrass’ material being massively changed stylistically so that it no longer passes as decoration-less grass has also not been addressed. Here’s an example of what one of our places looks like now, where previously the leaves were barely noticeable and only used so as to reduce the actual amount of grass we were using.

This is extremely important for a couple reasons:

1. Grass with vegetation active on it causes performance issues for users on lower end devices.
  2. Those users cannot disable grass on their end, so we are forced to use it sparingly to give off the vibes we want to achieve.
  3. There are also gameplay implications with vegetation being everywhere on these maps, allowing campers to lay down in it and play in an unfair and annoying way.

That being said, now the stylistic vision of our game has been directly changed with this and there are still no plans to address this, as far as I can tell. If this update ships, we need a way to have the grass material in terrain without vegetation, even if “terrain decorations” is turned on. It should not be a one-or-the-other thing.

I appreciate that some of the most glaring issues were fixed, such as the drastic color-differences between versions and the tiling issues on some materials, but this still does not feel ready for production to me. The improvements that were made overall feel pretty small, and the stylistic changes being forced onto my game through the sudden change in the ‘LeafyGrass’ material, the change to grass which no longer allows us to convincingly use it for tropical tree leaves, and the changes to how brick looks could at least be fixed through alternative options, of which there aren’t any for these specific use cases.

18 Likes

The coloration issues seem to be fixed! Thank you!
(open in new tab to see more detail)

Asphalt

Basalt

Cracked Lava

Glacier

Ground

Leafy Grass

Limestone

Mud

Pavement

Rock

Salt

Sandstone

Snow

Brick

Cobblestone

Concrete

Corroded Metal

Diamond Plate

Fabric

Foil

Forcefield

Glass

Granite

Grass

Ice

Marble

Metal

Neon

Pebble

Plastic

Sand

Slate

Smooth Plastic

Wood

Wood Planks

13 Likes

We really need a way to change the color of the leaves on this grass material since it’s possible to recolor these under Terrain.

14 Likes

To me, this studio build simply sucks. It completely ruins the 2014-2017esque feel of my game as shown here:
mygameexample
Now, let’s take this grocery store as an example to show you why i don’t like this studio build in only 2 images.

And now lets look at it with the new materials
whyroblox
The new materials ruin the feel of my game and make it way more uglier and im not really happy about it.
Legacy materials should be seprated from the new ones instead of being simply replaced.
If you want to see my game in the current state, here you go

16 Likes

I would love for there to be a sort of “UGC” feature where select creators can upload materials in the Library for other developers to get or buy. Some people on this platform are EXTREMELY talented with making custom textures in outside programs and I’d love to have the option of getting these uploaded custom materials in parts of my games!

6 Likes

Could you fill out the material survey posted in the updated announcement and provide these images? Thanks!

3 Likes