New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

The updated textures from April 20 look better, but I’d still like to update the grass. And generally, it’s great, but I’m really looking forward to the interactive grass :upside_down_face: (although it’s off-topic)

3 Likes

I believe someone has brought this up before, though the lighting has an affect on the terrain. The shadows are pretty much texture-less except for the part where light shines through.

Lighting settings:
SunRays: intensity 0.25, spread 1
Brightness: 2
Shadow-Softness: 0.5
Technology: Shadowmap

7 Likes

imo it looks way better with the new materials, but it differs for what you use it for

try playing around with the brightness and saturation

2 Likes

Any idea on around when we can see the extended materials?

• Terrain/Part Materials
    • Thatch
    • Wood Bark (Pine)
    • Moss
    • Carpet
    • Tile Surface (ceramic)
    • Marshland (dense/sparse emergent)
    • Leafy Dirt Ground
    • Snowy Grass
    • Jungle Floor
    • Snowy Rock
    • Dried Leaf Ground
    • Gravel Ground
    • Plains Grass Ground
  • Part Only Materials
    • Stucco Plaster
    • Cardboard Paper
    • Painted Metal
    • Iron (refined)
    • Diamond
    • Fur (short hair)
    • Rubber
    • Full Grain Leather
    • Denim
2 Likes

In fact, I am very concerned about the water and the stone. And no. This does not apply to the texture. As you can see in the example of water, the edges of this “puddle” are sharp. .

Bruh
Same problem with the stone. I’m even afraid to use it in my realistic projects
!!The edges are too sharp!!

I also hope to be able to add my own textures and draw them using the “paint” brush . I also very much hope that they will reduce the restrictions in the turn of the terrain (I’m talking about the regions now). moving the terrain only by at least 1 nail and rotating the selected region only by 90 degrees is not very good.

And by the way, I can’t help but add HOW MUCH I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW HERB that was announced at RDC 2020 :scream: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

i’m willing to bet that phase 3 will be custom materials… hopefully im not being too optimistic!

2 Likes

This looks like a result of the local lights not effecting the PBR materials, which is a symptom of ShadowMap. If you set this to Future, does the issue go away?

Just to pitch an idea here…

I’d love if we got some sort of “Iridescent” material, kinda like when car gas gets on water, or blowing bubbles. I think that’d be super versatile and really good for surreal builds.

5 Likes

Do you mean glass or glossiness? It’d be cool if you provided an image so I could maybe help you out and maybe achieve your goal with studio’s current materials.

It’s impossible with the current studio materials unfortunately without using Reflectance + skybox, but this “Rainbowiness” is what I mean.

9 Likes

Setting the lighting to future doesn’t seem to make a difference, other than making the room darker. I’ve circled the largest section that shows the issue without sunlight.

Thats probably because most of the light doesnt reach the bottom. And on the ring it seems to show the waves. Especially on the right candle on the last picture.

1 Like

You seem to be right as the texture shows up after removing the rings on the candle.

Though this looks extremely weird as shadows don’t show the waves on the sand and the little specs of light do show the waves.

There are some parts of the sand that have a lighter shadow which I feel should include the wavy texture, but I suppose a bit more dim as shown in this reference picture that I got off of google.

Thats because the waves are in the normal map and not the basecolor and I’m gussing when it goes in shadow it gets very diffused or just it doesn’t show at all. I hope this gets fixed in the new build cause on lower settings it doesn’t show any waves just like how diamond plate barley shows anything.

3 Likes

This could be possible if Roblox actually gave us any control over CubeMap Reflections (Indoor Environment Maps)

2 Likes

PBR is only shown when a material isn’t obstructed by a shadow, or if a PBR capable light is illuminating said material.

Turn up EnvironmentalSpecularScale all the way up. It should make the normals a bit more “visible” but it may cause discoloration depending on what skybox you’re using.

I guess currently you can lay a texture or decal on a glass, if that works. But yeah I completely agree with you, it’d be nice if we had a material like that!

It is currently infeasible to use Future for all projects due to performance. This should be fixed.

8 Likes

To anyone asking to add more materials:

Ask yourself if what you want as a new material, would benefit a multitude of games, or just your own. Remember that Roblox has given us more control over PBR textures, and allowed us to create our own.

Now I’m not trying to deny anyone’s right to have an opinion on these materials, what should be added, or how to improve them, but remember, if it seems out of place among the other materials, will not benefit the majority of games, or just doesn’t make sense, then make it yourself and maybe share it with others.

"But making materials is hard." or "I don’t know how to make PBR textures."

Behold: Materialize!
http://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

It’s a COMPLETELY free program to use to make PBR textures! It’s easy, just insert an image as a diffuse map, create Normal, Roughness, and Metalness maps and play around with the modifiers, and you’ve got yourself a sick looking slate tile texture!

Of course, this isn’t perfect but it still makes creating PBR textures quick and easy.

BONUS:
Since Carbon fiber is one of the most requested materials I’ve seen here, here’s a custom Carbon Fiber texture for free.

PBR Maps

Color Map:

Metalness Map:

Normal Map:

Roughness Map:

And if you don’t like it… make your own.

9 Likes