New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

While the premise of making your own PBR textures is a very neat one, and although you clearly state that you aren’t trying to deny anyone’s right to have an opinion on this matter, this kind of post still leans on the dismissive side of people badgering Roblox on what materials should be added and how some should be modified.

If anything, I’d think this would be a poor thing to mention currently in regard to the fact that Roblox is still working out the new materials. Enough has been said about the materials presented already and, frankly, there’s already a general consensus as to what Roblox should do at this point with the materials they made.
The issue here is that you’re basically watering down this whole debacle of concern over detail and general appearance with the whole “Well if ya’ don’t like it, then [insert less convenient to mildly inconvenient alternative]” gimmick.

I do understand where you’re coming from, the unfortunate issue is that this whole schtick doesn’t contribute a whole lot to what Roblox could still do with the materials they are currently working on.

My advice? Keep it to yourself until AFTER Roblox is done doing this stuff, then you can go ahead and tell this to people who still don’t like the new materials.

6 Likes

Will we ever be able to have custom textures for terrain?

3 Likes

Well I just thought of one thing that could potentially be a problem with this and the way that mass is calculated.

1 Like

I kinda agree with you, I can see how some people could find this as, “Stop asking for more materials blah blah blah your opinion doesn’t matter, etc.”, although that wasn’t the premise of my reply. I tried to word it as best as I possibly could and not come off as “annoyed” or “upset”.

The main reason for this reply was to let people know that they didn’t have to wait for Roblox to add a material that they want, but instead they can make their own if they choose to do so.

I probably failed to make it obvious why the reply was made. I’m not saying that people should just accept these new materials and just live with it, or not have a say in what Roblox does with existing materials and new ones, I’m letting people know that rather than asking for materials they want to be added, they can create their own with minimal effort. I thought that showing people an convenient way to make PBR materials would help people and I did not mean to discourage others in any way.

2 Likes

Here’s some notice I had today:

9 Likes

Very cool update! This has been mentioned quite a bit but I think the terrain system needs to be overhauled in general and add support for custom terrain textures like many engines support. Custom terrain textures would vastly improve creativity in games and allow more freedom rather than forcing people to use realistic textures. This is just my opinion and its easier said than done. But I still think it is possible to achieve custom terrain textures, maybe not with the current terrain but a new one. Overall cool update.

1 Like

This is an upcoming update actually. It was released in rdc 2020, It’ll probably come out this year but dont take my word on it.

2 Likes

I’m very confused by this. What and how do you mean?

1 Like

I mean, the new updates with the lighting, like future, it’s getting more realistic and growing closer to unreal engine, also for the terrain it’s the same. Idk I think I was exaggerating .

Yea heavy exaggeration. Roblox studio is light years behind from being even close to ue4.

2 Likes

Found a new weird edge case, hoping it’s not intentional.

Brick is randomizing the material location each time you duplicate a new part. This makes it impossible to have brick walls made up of multiple parts with all the bricks lining up. I recorded a video to show what I’m talking about.

Thanks! Been using this build for the past month and it’s fantastic. Old studio looks dated in materials now.

20 Likes

Doesn’t this happen with every tiled material?

1 Like

Yes it does, to prevent apparent tiling, but since bricks are way larger you can se it more easily, you can fix that by unioning them

You can, but for performance it’s not really good to union a bunch of parts.

2 Likes

Yeah, unioning objects isn’t the best option because it can easily kill performance if you have too many or very complex unions. You also have to deal with collision issues when you use unions.

1 Like

This does not look like Roblox anymore.

Will there be an option to keep the currently existing textures? If these materials were forced on everyone, I would have a lot of builds that would look very strange as not every build is meant to look so realisitic.

14 Likes

Haha this is embarrassing. You’re totally right, this has been a thing forever.

6 Likes

The current brick texture maintains the brick position FYI, the textures per brick however do change, so the behavior in the beta is currently wrong.

1 Like

I don’t know if this should be on the topic of the situation, but in my opinion, it’s best not to force these types of materials to old games or basically anything really, Many developers are using some of the current materials for stylistic choices and the newer ones seem definitely mixed, not knowing what style they are going for. The newer materials need to be re-done.

However, one issue not brought up is people talking about the sand used as a snow material.
Why haven’t we gotten a snow texture for parts yet? there is terrain but not for parts? Just wanted to budge this in Because I would definitely want this added to the new update too.

2 Likes

There is a snow material. That’s why nobody complained about it.

1 Like