New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

Is it me or the new terrain materials look so bland, boring, overly realistic and overall just not fitting?

I mean, look at this fun and amazing photo using the old materials!
fun
They blend in, have better colors, and are not intensely realistic.

Versus, the new bland & boring materials.
boring
Out of color, very realistic, non-blending and discolored. Just doesn’t fit.

2 Likes

I think that discolouration is a change in lighting style, rather than the materials themselves

1 Like

One other thing to consider that in 2013 when Roblox last changed its materials, parts of the material configuration (old ones prior the change) were actually baked into the client itself rather than being separate files, and these still existed behind a FFlag when the current ones were first introduced (November 2013 studio if anyone’s curious). So having both sets can be done.

2 Likes

Environment / Lighting or not, I think the terrain materials need some work before being released. In my opinion, they’re bland, overly realistic and don’t quite fit in. I mean look at this.
9fe7a0c4717e28db9e9826a1e1a45b12e4ea8e7d_2_690x356

Some are overly realistic, and some are really crappy. As the one shown above. Here’s one I think looks TOO realistic.

51564743cafe7251b2257c6cfd3c4694b2c2d78e_2_690x275

Doesn’t even look like roblox anymore like @QuackingDuckQuack said, but I know they’re trying to make roblox a more realistic & professional game, espesially with renaming Games to Experiences, or to discover. And renaming Players to Active or People, but I think this is a bit over the limits in my opinion. And yes I’m probably gonna get criticised for saying all this but, we all should be honest when it comes to roblox updates.

4 Likes

Just so you know the one you showed looks so much better on parts. It is gonna get fixed im sure.

Same thing happens with cobblestone on terrain, though it isnt as bad.

6 Likes

Hi, we’ll have an update soon. We needed to allow time to collect feedback, and we’ve been going through all of it in detail and having discussions internally.

12 Likes

I agree, the one on the part looks realistic and really fitting, I can see it being in good use. It looks like it fit’s into roblox and isn’t too realistic or un-realistic, just perfect lol.

1 Like

Me personally, I don’t care that much about pavement. If I need one, I can use this:

Anyways, onto other replies:

I guess this works, in theory, Option 1 in the original post is better, because you only need one texturepack. It would still, however, decrease performance in games massively if you had both textures simultaneously.

4 Likes

I’d bet you there’s no way QA will reject these materials. After all, SurfaceAppearance exists now, and the materials are sufficiently realistic for them to be considered more realistic than the existing materials.

Are you against realism? :joy:

1 Like

Lmao no, it’s just some materials can be too realistic or non realistic.

I’m not sure how something can be too realistic, but okay

3 Likes

weird
I don’t know if that’s dirt, but it’s weird.

It looks like dirt to me. It could just be more brown. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

These builds here are cool. I like them.

1 Like

Thats sandstone. Btw that screenshot is from the older preview build.

1 Like

If you are changing textures I think it should be very minor
Example:

Old:

New:

If you don’t see any difference I just added a bit of darkness and contrast to it.

This is just an example.

srry if it looks bad ;-;

9 Likes

Tried beta build yesterday. It’s amazing, but my only complaint is that metal reflects less light than before. This is due to it not being “rough” enough.

Otherwise, amazing job!!!

6 Likes

just add new materials
for example developers could use old grass (could be called legacy grass) and the new grass (grass)
it might be a bad idea just switching the textures because some textures will act like other materials
just like @cunpliy 's example about the cork

8 Likes

What the hell did you guys do to the cobblestone…

I really waited 10 minutes of roblox studio updating, just for this?

3 Likes