New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

You have to download the beta build to get the new textures. All those textures you see is just the old ones.
Heres the build

4 Likes

That’s not what I’m exactly trying to say. I’m trying to say that the current roblox studio, that’s downloadable on the creations page updated and made cobblestone white, and in my opinion it’s ugly.

Then change the colour to something you like.

2 Likes

Yeah I tried that, just all the colors looked ugly. I can’t find any colors close to the old one.

Aight I will, I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I’m just wondering why they decided to update the cobblestone that way. That’s all. Plus the old cobblestone used to be a biege color when you set it to white, but now it’s actually white. It’ll take me a while to get used to that :ohmy:

Pretty sure it was always like that.

4 Likes

Just updated, looks the same as it always has? Try checking/changing Lighting settings - Roblox Cloud Compute Service still takes thumbnail pictures in Compatibility (the “default” lighting) with EnvironmentSpecular and EnvironmentDiffuse set to 0. The difference is that you have likely never loaded the old cobblestone into a place with these properties enabled before.

5 Likes

Hmm, okay I’ll try that. Weird how it was white for me lmao.

1 Like

Is it still affirmable on whether this change is going to be optional or not? All these materials break off the harmony our studio has been building up by utilizing the different materials, and I’d like to know, for the sake of not wasting our studio’s precious development time, on whether we are supposed to start adapting to these new materials or not.

8 Likes

I asked about the same thing a few days ago, it seems we’ll know more about this fairly soon. Here’s the response I received:

7 Likes

About time I answered these questions.

I don’t mind tbh, but mot everyone shares my specific build style, so please be wary of that. I do however, think that these new materials are a truly outstanding retrofit to some of my builds.

It’s acceptable performance-wise. I guess one could just use Graphics 3 to obtain PBR. However, PBR on terrain is only enabled at Graphics 8, I think it should be decreased to about 5, or 3 as it is with parts.

FAR more than ever imaginable. If the old materials were akin to choosing between 2 similar laptops of bad quality, the new materials are like providing us the tools to build our own PC. Although many complain that all building techniques will be screwed over, I think that adaptation is the better strategy. After all, life is about adapting to change!

Yes. They do that pretty well in my opinion, especially with the PBR materials and the sky.

This is an example of a good build being turned to outstanding directly as a result of new materials being implemented.

Not anymore, I remember when marble didn’t tile seamlessly. It’s fixed now, though, so it’s all fine.

Increase. To provide a realistic comparison, if the old materials were like a toddler drawing a circle on a whiteboard, the new materials are like a nanosecond-by-nanosecond 1 billion FPS life-size 3D model of the whole world that accurately simulates the exact position of each atom to the nearest femtometre.

3 Likes

If the new materials aren’t optional, it’ll ruin the classicality of some roblox games, and will upset developers among us including me.

6 Likes

I agree, and I’m fully aware of that.

FTF_Airport by @deadlybones28 (credits to him for images):

Also worth noting that this map is already in Flee the Facility.

2 Likes

That was too slow.

I realised that, by swapping the PlatformContent folder, you can get the new materials in Roblox Player. I told a friend of mine to try it out, you can watch the video here:

The new material showcase starts at 3:40 in this video.

What can we learn from this?
The new marble acts pretty decently as an ice material, as seen in the Arsenal map showcased in the video.
Also, he told me that there are “negligible FPS drops”, so this change will NOT affect performance. Good news for people with potato PCs!
Also, the new brick is very good and it’s truly a well done moment to whoever made it. It really fits with that Arsenal map’s walls!
(Note: I don’t play Arsenal so idk what the map is called)

3 Likes

New wood tiles incredibly badly… (Look for the dark lines, now notice how often they occur)

5 Likes

So I notice that a lot have complained about the tiling being too noticeable, which is a result of upping the tiling rate. The problem was there with the old materials, but it was less noticeable because they tiled less. Some of the materials (Grass, Concrete, etc.) need properly tiled randomized rotation to look good at this tiling rate.

4 Likes

This answer is ridiculous. I get what you are saying, but as a builder and a modeler combined, I spend 100’s of hours making maps, one I am working on right now… and to see it being said that they are going to force this update upon us, it’s going to cost me 100’s of hours to re materialize everything in my places. What would work now, won’t work in the update. And that concerns me that I won’t be able to use old roblox materials.

3 Likes

Why do I feel like roblox is going to just ignore our feedback and get rid of all roblox materials anyways… despite us saying not to…

5 Likes

Use smooth plastic if it is too realistic

1 Like

Roblox has had it’s past for not listening to us developers… and more now than ever, this is the time to change that and actually listen to us… especially for something this big. It’s going to cost a lot of developers a lot of hours and a lot of money for the big games if they do not comply with this and force it upon everyone.

5 Likes