New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

Interesting, I really like some of the textures, Indeed some of the roblox material textures are “iffy”.

1 Like

Very happy to see that Roblox is at least trying to listen to devs for this update. Definitely a controversial one, this is

As for the developer input you wanted (it’s 3am and I’m on mobile so I can’t give screenshot examples but hear me out)

1. Absolutely not acceptable. My current builds look alright with the update but I’ll definitely stand behind the people who literally make a living off of this and would have to spend weeks fine-tuning their places if the update was forced

2. Not sure what is meant by this, but I’m assuming it means forced colouration on lower graphics settings. Forced colouration is NOT OKAY under any circumstances imo, it ruins the experience and kills any versatility whatsoever

3. The new materials are definitely less versatile. Several instances where I have used sand/slate are ruined because of their newfound specificity. I can see this potentially being fixed with new materials types though, whenever those are coming out

4. They don’t really improve or take away from them in any manner. Of course I can’t speak for everyone though

5. Can’t provide screenshots as I said before but several people have already highlighted the graphical bugs so

6. see #4

Overall I’m probably one of the least affected by this update but I’m definitely concerned about Roblox trying to push “realism” especially when they know full well that some of the most popular games on the platform aren’t realistic. That really strikes me as odd

6 Likes

Ok, this was not reall what I expected. :frowning_face:

My Expectation

I expected a refresh of the 'old' materials where they would keep the same design and coloring ect but simply increase the resolution and create better looking with PBR

The Reality

I turned out to be a complete chage of all of the materials where we have to change materials in out games just to keep the asthetic of our games. This is not very good and being a Terrain designer, we have to go around finding a material that is 'close enough' to the original. This is an example of @asimo3089's twitter showing how Jailbreak is going to have to completly change Sandstone to Limestone!

Positives

• Very high quality materials
  • Sand looks gooooood
  • Material blending is fantastic!

Negatives

• Complete change in colouring
  • Materials have changes too much
  • Everything seems so dark
  • Lots of changing is needed

Plenary

All together this update is not the best and needs A LOT of improvement. Hopefully Roblox listens to us this time and works with developers to create a better system.

Alss apparently custom terrain materials are happening soon! Via @RBLXImagineer

This will most likely ‘save’ the people who want less realistic materials in thier games!

13 Likes

This is a 50/50 for me. Some of the textures look way too different and unnatural like slate. Everything is way darker than its supposed to be which is a huge problem for me. Especially since slate looks like cobblestone the slate I used as rocks and map walls now look weird. I’d like this better if slate had a better texture and if the textures were lighter. Coloring these new textures are really painful compared to the old textures I personally like the wood textures etc but overall the colors need to be fixed and we need better slate.

Before:

Now:

12 Likes

Between the images below there is no difference in lighting settings whatsoever. Why did it turn so dark? Why is a single brick the size of an elephant?

I understand the need to upgrade, but there is no way this is acceptable. The colouring and differences in material are too much compared to the old textures.

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

16 Likes

The update is wonderful and all but I have a couple concerns. in certain graphics settings materials gets changed.
for example this ice material:

Graphics Level 1

Graphics Level 3

Graphics Level 5

Graphics Level 10

5 Likes

thats because lower graphics will want to render less detail/quality materials. Defeats purpose using higher quality ones on lower graphics

1 Like

Would be more convenient if the colours were less changed

2 Likes

probs early days defo something to look into color wise

1 Like

Yeah, def a big color change between 3 and 5.

2 Likes

It would be useful if there were an option to adjust material scale, so materials don’t appear too big or too small in our use cases. It’d also be useful to preserve old materials such as brick, to preserve the look of current games.

3 Likes

im very hype to see this update launched it’ll take roblox development to a next level!

1 Like

To be honest a lot of the part materials are nice if we arent talknig about granite, brick, stone/cobblestone, grass and some others. I dont like how marble looks because i personally wouldve liked the black lines in marble more accentuated in the new textures. I dont like that hte textures are colored, which limits creativity, like how the grass is green when set to instututional white or how sand is yellowish when also put to the brightest white, how stone and pebble textures have warm tones.

2 Likes

I stand by what many have said, these textures are barely a high definition improvement and more of a complete replacement. Ruins a lot of games that cleverly utilized the materials. It would be better if the default textures were just improved upon, maybe with AI upscaling. Although these materials can still remain as a variety, the bigger the selection the better.
As I’ve said on the first announcement post, it would be better if we just had a huge library of materials that players could upload and contribute to.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s that bad, big difference in bricks, reminds me of classic English houses! I like the bricks ngl, yes it seems more gloomy, and horror games will see this as a dub, it’s more eerie, but accommodating for the population? They failed, as you can see everyone’s complaining, it’s not that bad to me, it looks the same if not better in my opinion, this though, is subjective, so what are your thoughts on it

1 Like

I can see you zoomed in the new pictures, this makes the new one seem significantly bigger, anyways I like the new more, it’s more realistic and makes it just, better, reminds me of craft mine

This is the worst possible way roblox could have released this update…Does ROBLOX realize not everything has to change just because it’s “old”?
And forcing part color=not cool.

2 Likes

(using mostly new materials)

absolutely love most of the new materials, the new reflectivity on them looks amazing.

though as many others have expressed this simply can’t work as a replacement but only as an addition to the existing materials, the changes are far too drastic for that.

Corroded metal, wood, pebble, wood plank, cobblestone are all major improvements, but as others have said, they’re far too dark in most instances and ruin the aesthetic of builds.

32 Likes

My largest issue with this update is that all of the new textures are so defined for what they’re meant to be that theres practically not alternate use cases for any of them.

Fabric still doesnt look like the type of fabric we’d want to use (bedsheets pillow cases etc), sand no longer has alternative uses like a better fabric texture. Wood looks very rough up close, virtually all of the textures arent seamless (so non-seamless in fact that I thought the marble texture was supposed to look like tiles now), the issues of metal and other materials being way too dark and way too reflective with future lighting still isnt fixed and worst of all you’re saying you’re gonna force old games to use these new textures.

Most of these textures are not faithful to the old textures whatsoever, which makes it even more baffling to why you would try to force these into games.

My largest problem with this update, however; is that these textures do not have alternate use cases. If roblox wants to have the textures distinct like this youd need to have more textures than we have.

ie
Slate
CrackedSlate
SmoothSlate
or
Fabric
CottonFabric
(and whatever materials pillow cases and stuff are made out of lol I forgot the name)

The thing about the old textures is that we improvised with them, roblox doesnt wanna make us improvise anymore and I appreciate that, but it limits what we can use these textures for by so so so much.

5 Likes

Please do not do this, my game currently has a bright feel to it and these new materials completely ruin it. Support to use legacy materials should be implemented as many older games, and even newer games will have their builds ruined. It is an extremely time consuming task to go and alter every single part or mesh in your game because the environment and feel of the game was completely changed.

Before:

After:

These new materials change colours too much, it looks completely different to how it used to look. If you are going to have materials tint colour, please let us customise it.

Also please change the material dropdown menu to a grid style menu, it’s already hard enough to navigate it. I made a quick example of what this could look like:

29 Likes