New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

Many people will find this new update very interesting and useful towards future builds, thank you to all at Roblox for supplying us with this really cool update!

1 Like

I would love to opt into the beta. These new built-in pbr materials and terrain look wayyyy to good to pass up!

Opt-In Place ID: 5993724989

1 Like

This. Is. AMAZING!

I’ve always been having to use my own textures to get my game to look at how I need it to, but now I don’t need to do it!

3 Likes

These materials will operate similar to the current ones, meaning lower end devices will drop some of the PBR maps for performance. In a nutshell, they’ll work the same way.

6 Likes

We’re still working on this! Part of the update to the terrain decorators required us to update our base materials so they really shined. Keep an eye out for that announcement in the future.

8 Likes

Custom material support for developers is in the works as well. With this, you’ll be able to recreate any particular style you want, and still tie it to the material properties in terrain. Keep an eye out for that announcement in the future!

18 Likes

ong yes!!!

I’d like to Opt In: 6122157482

1 Like

Can you confirm if the current materials will be remaining as they are or as similar as possible to preserve backwards compatibility with existing games? Completely stripping out the current set of materials which have been in place largely unchanged since October 2013 could break and ruin the appearance of many games on the platform - this is particularly concerning “core” materials (found in almost every game you can play today) such as Plastic, Sand, Slate, Concrete and Wood.

5 Likes

You’re right, you can do that, and that works for game like The Wild West where you can’t really zoom out, there’s no air vehicles, etc etc, and they change as you walk around. but there is simply no way to actually have different colored materials and I feel that is a critical missing feature.

3 Likes

This update seems to be incredible, it’s great to know that the platform is always investing in new features for developers, I can’t wait to see the updates that await in 2021

Could you add this feature to my game?

Place ID: 5979488905

2 Likes

PlaceId: 4983979683

We would LOVE to use this!

1 Like

Will this beta feature be available to all developers to begin testing by opting in? How will the whitelist process for games go? How long until we can expect this feature to be released in beta?

2 Likes

Will you be able to change the terrain and have for example to different colours of grass?

2 Likes

this is not the roblox i know…

2 Likes

Times are a-changing. Things WILL be updated regardless of how you feel and what you remember Roblox as and this is one of those times. Not all updates are good but this is certainly one of the best ones all year.

7 Likes

I would like to opt in!

place ID: 6124523603

2 Likes

Would love to opt my upcoming project Super Hero Life IV in this - especially looking forward to integrating it into the custom avatar system!

ID: 4858882918

1 Like

THIS IS AMAZING!!! though i wish there was a way we could have like smooth plastic or plastic terrain that can be colored mostly for cartoon/low poly games stuff like that but still amazing

3 Likes

100% add those, however, would you guys be interested in making more special materials?

what do i mean by special materials? well, i really mean animated materials, but I’m classifying them as " special materials", but basically like force-field or water.

i do have some ideas, like a shadow material or some kind of cosmic material

i got the shadow idea from them removing black neon, i thought it was kinda cool, but it’s gone so…
and the cosmic one well… i got from this from like, 2 shows, one i saw a few times as a kid, another is from Rick and Morty.
Example 1: Kirby vs. eNeMe/Nightmare - YouTube
Example 2: well, i don’t know if i’m allowed to show this, so, i will just say where it is
the character Super Nova from S3 E4 Vindicators 3: The Return Of Worldender
just watch her skin, i like that, anyways just give it some thought please, it’d be cool, thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Sadly you can’t create many water-oriented games due to the horrible water fog that you can’t even remove.

And the border where water and terrain meets is also horrible
robloxapp-20201222-2220345.wmv (716.3 KB)

4 Likes