New TextChatService "/" to send message sends slash in message

Continued to notice this through games using the new TextChatService.

1 Like

I get the same issue.

When pressing / or - or whatever it sends causes it to go in the chat as well

1 Like

Oof, thanks for the report. I’ve forwarded this report to the team and we will look into taking steps to determine how to prevent this in the future.

29 Likes

I just was about to mention this, players are having issues in my game with the / hotkey also.

1 Like

In addition to the / issue, I’ve also heard reports of chat bubbles not disappearing over users heads.

I’ve had to switch back to legacy chat (which is not ideal) due to the outrage it’s causing.

2 Likes

That issue (chat bubble disappearing) should be fixed by now according to this post : Bubble Chat is now integrated into TextChatService! - #102 by SubtleShuttle

1 Like

Reports were coming in as of yesterday.

1 Like

And as of typing this, it’s still happening to me, and I’ve observed it happening to other people I was playing with.

Hopefully a fix comes today, I’m starting to go near mad having to press backspace all the time.

1 Like

This is happening in my game too and many people are complaining about it.

I replied to the message talking about the chat bubbles disappearing, is that what you are referencing?

1 Like

This issue is also occurring to my custom chat system. I use task.defer to capture focus of the TextBox on the next resumption cycle to avoid capturing the “/”. This trick worked as expected up until today.

UserInputService.InputBegan:Connect(function(...)
	task.defer(textBox.CaptureFocus, textBox)
end)

I thought this behavior may have been caused by the SignalBehavior flag, however it persists regardless of whether it’s Deferred or Immediate.

Edit: I realize this has been reported above, but I’ll leave it here in case it’s useful.

2 Likes

Also getting very annoyed players at my experience. Parts of my experience depends on TextChatService and I cannot revert back to the classic chat without redoing these portions. Hoping for an update on this soon.

1 Like

Unable to find a workaround ):

I presume the team will take a look after the weekend is over? A bit weird it’s taken so long for a seemingly major communication bug.

1 Like

putting this bug report here in case you don’t see it

Hi everyone, we’ve identified a fix which should be included in our release next week. The team is also taking steps to ensure this regression doesn’t happen again in the future.

26 Likes

Why was it not already made with the option to turn it off when it was added?

TextChatService is currently opt-in. It is optional.

1 Like

Right now the key got changed from / to . in the prompt
But . is emote menu and it still shows / in roblox menu
And it doesn’t open chat
That’s weird

3 Likes

This can be done using a more suitable method by simply using InputEnded instead. This will not trigger input into the text box.

1 Like