New to Blender and importing to Studio.. Help?

Hello,

I honestly made some models and did some topology to import to roblox. Wow, what can I say besides this was the most painful and longest thing ever. I found many different ways to import to roblox. Mesh parts, just regular OBJ, as compared to FBX. I ran into a huge issue as the game thinks my mesh had 20k+ parts. I did decimate like 3 times, still only went down a few thousand parts. At the end of the day I just inserted it as a OBJ as compared to FBX and boom worked fine. Uploaded my IMG file for the texture outside and it was great. I had some stretching issues but non-the-less I had it in the game. Why is it so difficult to import models with textures? What secret am I missing to make it easy lol. Can someone share the process they go through with no issues? I had to remake my model twice. Since I am new to blender this turned out to be a multi-day thing with a quite a few hours. Reason being is I thought the mesh would go in fine into roblox, but it just didn’t. I learned later a lot of the issues coming from size more than anything. So I remade from scratch what I was building and the topology turned out better (minor issues) but the mesh/textures loaded fine. I would like any advice as I am unsure what the first creation had an issue with compared to the second. Similar models/textures, really makes me want to make textures in roblox but sadly you can’t because some things are far too complex for studio ATM.

Um can you make a tldr. Cause Uh thats a lot of stuff to read.

Also if you want to import something you can select the object in blender > file > Export > FBX
Then type in the name and save it to your file.
Ps if you use the selected object opttion when exporting it will only export the object you have selected.

Next in studio make sure you game is published do
Click on the VIEW tab then do
view > assetmanger > the Bulk import button > your file > confirm

That should import it.
Then you should see something that shows some items It will be under the asset manager tab
Just double click on the object and it should be in your game

I imported it fine at the end of the day like I said, it’s just such a horrible and tedious process. Also FBX doesn’t work for me, apparently my meshes are far too big for roblox lol not sure how as my model looked very low topology. I just wanted to know why is it so difficult or if I am doing it wrong. Decimate doesn’t work very well IMO.

1 Like

Personally I prefer importing my things as FBX considering that format keeps all mesh parts separated; that way if you don’t wanna texture them in Blender then you can do so in Roblox studio with materials and part colours!
For FBX vs OBJ check out this short read about what data each may contain.
FBX can also nest your texture inside your file by pressing Path Mode in FBX export window > Copy, then you click the grey icon on the right to turn it blue, when you import that FBX into Roblox studio it’ll upload the texture for each part automatically and apply them for you.
Now let’s take poly count, Roblox’ max poly count is around 10k tris, you said your model “looked” low poly? You can check the amount your self by selecting all parts in your file and activating statistics.

Then when you look at the left side you’ll be able to see the Verts and Tris count, the lower it is, the easier time studio and mobile users will have.

As for the process of modelling FOR Roblox, you always want to keep in mind: You don’t want too many Tris, if your model has separate parts and they use separate textures then export as FBX; otherwise if it’s only one part then you’re fine off with OBJ.

Hi,
I’m just pointing this out that it doesn’t work for me for some bizarre reason.
I’ve tried most likely everything that could work but it just doesn’t.Maybe it’s an issue on roblox’s side or vice versa.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.