New UIListLayout Flex Features [Beta]

I never been more mad to be alive, I made something similar using multiple events to just to do this, manually, which took 5 long days and this dropped to replace it.

8 Likes

Relief washes over me in an awesome wave. Thank god we have these tools now! It opens up a lot of freedom for designers without the monotonous overhead of endless UI coding.

7 Likes

This is a useful feature but there surely comes a point at which someone realises too much API bloat has been added to making Roblox UI and the entire UI system needs to be reworked.

Designing UI on Android involves a handful of properties and a few different types of constraints and you can design UIs that look the same on all devices very easily. On Roblox you know need to know how to correctly embed an ever widening variety of different UI layouts and constraints - chuck in differences between Scale and Offset values itā€™s all getting quite confusing.

6 Likes

I like it. Itā€™s familiar to me because of CSS.

Now we donā€™t have to code this in using scripts. However, I suspect that this feature wonā€™t be used often.

7 Likes

This is huge, I need to write code that does this basically every single week.

4 Likes

This looks pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity, what was the reasoning behind making this an instance instead of a property of the GuiObject?

4 Likes

My assumption is for the same reason things like UISizeConstraint etc are separate instances. It helps to keep GuiObjects from being huge god objects whose properties panel is chock full of stuff you donā€™t set often enough to warrant it.

5 Likes

Great to see it! This should help developers create UI a lot easier and quicker!

Thank you to everyone who is working on this!

Animal Crossing

14 Likes

Iā€™ve been longing for this for quite a long time, thank you. Thereā€™s so much to it as well, canā€™t wait to experiment

3 Likes

What are you working on? I just left my uilistlayouts as is and didnt really care about scaling too much. But now this is out I dont have to worry.

Great to see more UI improvements coming to Roblox nonetheless!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been waiting for this for so long. Finally the UI features are getting to be on-par with the web landscape. Great update! :tada:

1 Like

Wooo Hooo. This is amazing. If Iā€™m not mistaken this is essentially CSS flexbox. If anyone sees this post, a great resource I love to use for flexbox is https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox. Anyways this made my day.

5 Likes

CSS flexboxes! Woo, another great UI update.

3 Likes

Finally making dynamic stuff like Inventories will become easy without being forced to either GridLayout (that forces a specific size) or make something a bit hacky with multiple UIListLayouts.

Common Roblox W

3 Likes

Is this something that is planned to change? Iā€™m already running into an issue while implementing this into my UI because of this:

Intended:

Destroy an element, no longer intended result:

Changing any property on any UI element appears to cause the FlexLayout to update and go back to the intended result.

Hierarchy: (ā€œFrameā€ are the player frames on the leaderboard)

4 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely sure if we already have it (Iā€™ve looked everywhere but canā€™t find it), but can we add surface gui wrapping for corners and stuff.

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to use this for all my games, no more hours spent manually sizing UIā€™s for each device.

4 Likes

Great! Iā€™ve been waiting for a UI related update for ages!!!

3 Likes

Finally, this is exactly what Iā€™ve been wanting for so very long. Thank you so much

4 Likes

The web designer in me makes me really happy when seeing this :tada:

6 Likes