New UIListLayout Flex Features [Beta]

I finally get to prototype websites on Roblox!

3 Likes

We have been waiting for a dynamic user interface (UI) for years, and we never imagined that Roblox would take the time to create one.

Nice job, Roblox.

5 Likes

This feature is simply incredible! I hope one day it will also add a way to make the GUIs have a blur effect

7 Likes

Fantastic change, itā€™s often tedious writing UI layout algorithms. This shouldā€™ve been a thing much sooner

3 Likes

I second thisā€¦ UI blur is long overdue, and the frustrating thing is that we know Roblox has it because they use it in their CoreGuiā€¦

5 Likes

not a useful update. not sure if anyone else will use it

1 Like

This will help many small developers to make their interfaces better, I have always had problems with scaling on all devices, but this helps me a lot, thank you.

2 Likes

Finally, the days of me using UIListLayout and UIGridLayout both to have some sort of wrapping list are finally gone. Thank you so much!!!

3 Likes

This is amazing! As a web developer that uses CSS flexbox regularly, Iā€™ve been wanting this feature on Roblox for ages.

This will make it much easier to make UIs that work on all screen sizes, especially those with dynamic content.

7 Likes

If I read this correct I think they just removed the need to make a custom scrolling frame sizer. At last!

3 Likes

I was waiting for this my whole life, thank you so much!!!

4 Likes

finally this will be very useful for interface development

2 Likes

Thatā€™s incredible!
This feature has been in my mind for a while lately.
Thanks for the great work guys!

4 Likes

Actually great feature man! However since were on the topic of UIā€™s, i believe UI hitboxes break/become inaccurate the higher resolution they are. Hereā€™s an example. Any way to have this sort of issue fixed?

7 Likes

Itā€™s always infuriated me having to make these features myself. This will help a lot once itā€™s not a beta!

4 Likes

Great idea, we actually did explore adding flexible-size row/columns for UIGridLayout! Would you be able to share some usecases you have in mind for this, say compared to scale-sized rows/columns?

5 Likes

Yes as @Kampfkarren mentioned, we currently use UIComponents like UIFlexItem to describe how to modify GuiObjects, rather than put all possible modification options in GuiObject directly. I think this is done to avoid having large GuiObjects that need to replicate unused properties to the client, but this is more of an engine-level question.

6 Likes

Thanks for reporting this, we will fix this issue soon!

Can you post a screenshot/mock-up of what youā€™re looking for please? Are you describing rounded corners on a SurfaceGui? I think you could use UICorner on a Frame within the SurfaceGui?

Thanks for reporting, this is the multiple-frame update issue. We are working on a fix!

Interesting, are you using any flex layout options for this layout (like HorizontalFlex/VerticalFlex), or is this still an issue with the flex beta turned off? Can you share a minimum repro file here or post in #bug-reports so we can investigate? Thanks!

3 Likes

This is an incredibly useful addition, Iā€™m glad to finally see some attention being given to UI design within studio!

Iā€™m curious, is there any idea on when this feature will be brought out of beta and into live experiences? It would be great to be able to start using this as soon as possible!

2 Likes

yes yes YES! This is SO cool!
We finally are able to make responding UI with this feature, super glad that this is now a feature!
I have been waiting for this for so long!! I will 100% be using this.

2 Likes