New Unified, Smart Mesh Importer Beta

Just had created a little 3D experimenting build of an abstract hexagon orbit. Along with some cool dynamic lighting that I had made :100::+1::blush:

8 Likes
  1. We are working on improving asset iteration. I can’t tell you exactly what the ideal workflow would look like. but this is something we are thinking about.

2. Unfortunately, the blender exporter does not respect collections. So the FBX we get is flat.
    I have previously found scripts you can run to maintain your groupings after exporting (here is the thread with the script in question, make sure to back up all your stuff before running the script!! Blender 2.8 Export FBX while keeping Collections Hierarchy - Basics & Interface - Blender Artists Community).

3. You can import stuff with more than 20k tris, but it will be simplified down to 20k. As far as increasing the limit, this is imposed on the importer by the rendering engine. During development of the importer I “cheated” and bypassed the limit and assets were unrecognizable balls of spikes. So this is not a limitation of the importer, but he engine. As soon as the engine can handle more tris, so will the importer.

5 Likes

Came back to say this importer needs to become the main way to import meshes it’s 1000x better also sometimes it increases the sizes of models randomly. I modled some low poly trees around the size of an R15 dummy but when imported they turned into skyscrapers. So having an option to decrease if they are too large like the asset manager does. :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds great, looking forward to the outcome and thank you for providing a solution to my hierarchy issue. The importer has been extremely useful with uploading assets and has definitely improved my workflow, great job to you and your team! :smiley:

Check out your unit scale in blender. 0.02 to 0.05 is a good scale range for me, depending on what I’m making. 1.0 will make everything enormous

1 Like

I really like this update. Especially the 20k tri limit.

1 Like

Also, for the scale, try the scale unit dropdown option in the “File Geometry” section of the new importer.

If, for example, your blender is set up to have a unit of 1 = 1cm, select the cm option from the dropdown. It will make the resulting import much smaller than the default value (where 1 unit = 1 stud).

In a future update (hopefully very soon), we will check the FBX to see if a scale unit was exported with the file, if we find one, we will automatically scale the mesh based on the unit you modeled with.

1 Like

Yep, for me I always set my blender export to 0.01

When will this be released? I’m very curious to know

1 Like

They said sometime around the first week of January, at least last I heard that was the date

Woahh that’s not even that long then i hope that’s true i’d love this feature to be released with pbr etc

Right? It’s really exciting and a whole lot more convenient for large projects lmfao

1 Like

Just to clarify, the new import is live right now (if you enable the beta feature). What will be released in January is the first wave of improvements / bug fixes.

Let me know if anything is still unclear.

Hey there! If I remember correctly, you mentioned skinned meshes in the first week of January, correct?
If so, is there any estimate on which day of the week this will drop? :slight_smile:

I did not mention skinned meshes in the 1st week (if I did I apologize). Hopefully it comes in the first bit of this year, we are actively working on this at the moment.

The improvements that should be coming this week are some stability around certain texture filetypes, and the upload throttling allowing very large scenes from being importer without issue (or limits).

I will update the thread when we turn these features on.

Its live but it doesn’t work with pbr at the current moment i think, that’s what i meant by when will it be released

Oh I see, I wasn’t able to see what you were replying to if you did. PBR is one of the features we are working on adding to the importer. I don’t have a time estimate at the moment unfortunately.

1 Like

I know the plan is to merge importers, but I also know there is separate work going on in the avatar importer (eg layered clothing). Have they reached a point where these projects will all go into the new importer? Just wondering where I should be watching for fixes. Thanks!

oh my bad, thank you for clarifying!

Yes, we have a team working on bringing avatar capabilities of this new importer up to par with the existing avatar importer.