New Unified, Smart Mesh Importer Beta

That importer has issues too. I was wondering more if we could expect any further improvements to that importer, or if that has been tabled for this project.

:slight_smile:

This is the particular bug Iā€™m watching:

1 Like

Iā€™m not on that team, but work is still ongoing for layered clothing and bugs should get fixed for that and a few other features on the old importer.

Filing a bug report as a separate topic for your issue should get the right eyes on it.

3 Likes

Finally, another triangle limit increase. Will there ever be another triangle limit increase in the future?

1 Like

I honestly think that if they go big then itā€™d be too much for the servers because of how many calculations are needed

2 Likes

Agreed. Also given how many tricks there are to make low poly look high poly, this is more about the learning curve than system constraints now.

2 Likes

I stumbled upon this importer, because I have an issue (probably with UV maps) and textures are not rendered correctly for certain meshes. Iā€™ve seen that people had similar issues before and this was supposed to help, but the new importer didnā€™t solve it for me. Maybe itā€™s also a problem with the importer, but Iā€™m not very experienced in this field. I recommend you see my thread:

Heya!

When will the first week update come out?
Is it delayed or did something happen behind the scenes?
:slight_smile:

@TTV_SelloutX

Hi all, the upload throttling feature should be live, I was able to import a scene with 729 individual meshes. It was quite slow (as expected due to the back-end throttling), but it worked. Please let me know if you run into any issues importing larges scenes.

Note: We will be tuning some settings to see if we can make it a bit faster without annoying our cloud friends too much!

6 Likes

I liked the progress bar! Maybe it was there before, but I happened to need it today.

Redwood scale? Probably. Doesnā€™t take much to have a forest.

1 Like

I wonder if we can import the mesh offline faster since it doesnā€™t need to throttle with the cloud. Once we publish the game, every mesh is uploaded at once?

Itā€™s suppose to do that, so I guess it does. But what do you mean by doesnā€™t throttle with the cloud? Anything published to Roblox, or saved to Roblox, is uploaded to the Roblox cloud so that you can re-open the experience or place later.

I am not entirely sure how the mesh importer API works, but I am assuming that the mesh gets imported to the client and uploaded to the cloud; therefore, there is some throttle in importing meshes, because they take a while to upload. However, if you remove the uploading per mesh part and only import them to the client, all the mesh would only be uploaded when you save to Roblox or publish to Roblox (to the cloud) resulting in a faster mesh import time. This is just a hypothesis. I had the same issues when doing massive terrain parts conversion, and found out it was faster when it was done offline and uploaded to Roblox once all ready.

This is especially annoying because models canā€™t be deleted. As a workaround, Iā€™ve resorted to giving the file a dirty name, which causes the entire upload to get blocked by the filter.

Unrelated: I donā€™t know if this was mentioned already, but the File Dimensions field doesnā€™t seem to be calculated correctly. For example, if I try importing the default Rthro Normal rig, the height should be nearly 6 studs, but it is displayed as only 2.08. There is no scale unit that corresponds to the expected value. Compared to the actual model, the dimensions (in red) looks like this:

Each component appears to be getting overwritten from the size of some arbitrary part. e.g. X appears to be taken from the lower torso, Y from the upper torso, and Z from one of the feet.

1 Like

Is it possible to not generate unique meshId for linked mesh or meshpart with its base prefab the same?

Having 300 unique meshId would cost dramatic longer loading times. This is a big issue on bad network players and streaming in/out.

Does all those cubes share the same MeshId?

I just went through the painful process of reducing my 100k triangle tree to a minimum number of meshIDs, based on your observation. There was a noticeable performance improvement, but the alignment is no longer perfect. Still, good call!

The secret is going to be adding simple meshes in blender to serve as rotation points for the complex meshes. Aligning things in Roblox is torture! Blender has precision alignment with the shift key and I miss it!

I may redo the tree completely with this knowledge. Thanks!

Do you mean, say you have a 3D file with 500 identical cubes, that we could somehow check that they are the same cube?

If so, there may be a way to do that; Iā€™d need to think about it a bit. It would involve hashing the contents of the mesh. Hmmm

1 Like

@Anaminus (tagging you in this response as well)

This is a very good point. For now you can un-check the ā€œImport as Model Assetā€ option, however the resulting mesh will not be grouped in a model and you will have to insert it into the place from Asset Manager like you would have had to do with the old bulk importer.

Iā€™ll have internal discussions on if maybe its would be a good idea to add an option to create a model in your place without also uploading it to your inventory.

I know new asset management options are on their way so that may preclude the need for any of this.

Anyway, this is quite an important topic, we will definitely look into it, and provide some solution.

1 Like

Does the fbx file identify when a mesh is an instance of another mesh? If so, then the modeller could tell Roblox which meshes are the same.

My tree has 3 layers: bottom, middle and top. Each layer has multiple branches. The branches are all identical, with the exception of the scale, location, and rotation. The X and Z axes are reduced by 20% per layer, and the Y axis is left alone.

If they show up as instances in the fbx file, you might not need to know any of that!

Yes. I think it would be a very good optimization feature. Devices with bad internet struggle to load in many different meshid. It should be more performant loading one unique meshID for identical imported mesh rather than 500 different meshid for mesh that look the same with each other. I think you guys already did it with the TextureID for mesh that share the same texture.

Some mesh also have the same base mesh that is slightly scaled in different direction to get new shapes, etc. If you can identify this as well, it would be very nice.

1 Like