New Unified, Smart Mesh Importer Beta

This is super awesome! Will we ever see this expanded to exporting models from Roblox in the FBX format?

3 Likes

Are there any plans to improve mesh collisions on import? Currently the closest thing we can get to 1:1 collisions for our meshes is PreciseConvexDecomposition which is not precise enough if you have large scaled mesh based terrain/environments, Iā€™d love if there was an option for mesh collisions to use the actual mesh for collisions or collisions could be defined by another mesh specifically made for collisions in the Obj/Fbx file

1 Like

I donā€™t know how favorable of an idea this is but I feel like it would be nice to have a mesh decimate feature that was built into studioā€™s import feature as long as it didnā€™t mess with the mesh or texture quality. Might be a bit of a noob question or statement, Iā€™m a bit new working with mesh. I imported like 3800, and sorted them all just the other week for my game, so Iā€™m sure if this idea was possible it would improve performance of some imported mesh in general .

1 Like

Will these expanded file types also be included for exporting from studio?

Interesting. I this is not currently on the roadmap, but it is something we should evaluate and determine if it is worth implementing in the future.

For the moment, this team will be focused on further improving the import experience and expanding the importerā€™s feature set.

3 Likes

Our engine automatically applies LOD simplification to meshes for lower-power devices and distance from the player. Can you expand a bit more on what you would like the importer to add to this?

1 Like

Is there any chance of this paving the way for us to provide our own LODs in the future (especially for collisions)? For some of the usecases I use meshes for, making custom LODs would yield a better balance between performance and usability.

1 Like

This is out of the realm of import. The importer imports your mesh exactly as you modeled it (unless it needs to simplify because of the 20k tri limit).

Beyond that, the engine has to create a collision model, and currently 1:1 is too expensive for all meshes. If you want us to re-evaluate a possibility for an exact collision option, I suggest that you make a feature request on the request section of the devforum as the team that owns collisions is not the same as this team that deals with import.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just being dumb, but after enabling the beta feature, there is no ā€œMesh Importerā€ in the plugins.

1 Like

This is something Iā€™ll need. Iā€™ll need it for my games. Some characters are meshes only and messed up. Thisā€™ll be useful.

4 Likes

Interesting, I donā€™t think this is on any roadmap at the moment. When I next speak with the people who own the LOD features, Iā€™ll see what they think.

3 Likes

Silly question, but did you restart Studio?

1 Like

I wanted to try this out and went to studio > beta features and enabled/restarted but I donā€™t see the button (same problem as guy above)

1 Like

I agree about the collision problems. Currently it is very annoying to make buildings and indoor areas, because roblox doesnā€™t support multiple materials per mesh so you have to split the model which creates problems when making collisions, because the mesh has holes. I solve this problem by making separate collision model which takes more time.

1 Like

Thanks so much; currently, Iā€™m stuck using 4-12 meshes in place of a single mesh for certain environments purely because PreciseConvexDecomposition doesnā€™t account well for doorways or cavities within a solid, and the existing automatic render levels of detail often create loose geometry extending far outside of the regular bounds of the mesh.

2 Likes

First thing I tried, mate. I even disabled and re-enabled the feature.

1 Like

Ok, I was able to replicate the issue on my non-admin account. Sorry about that; looking into it right now. Thanks for the report

5 Likes

Iā€™d say it is more of the responsibility of you, as a developer, to optimize your meshes before importing them into the engine.

Are there plans for a feature that, instead of scaling down, can split the mesh into multiple meshes to stay within the size limit?

2 Likes

Adding onto this - the ability to have draggers to resize a mesh manually on import would be great.

1 Like

Roblox is finally doing something we all can agree with. This is an absolute win, and Iā€™m excited to see where this goes in the future. Being able to automatically import with PBR later on will be amazing, I canā€™t tell you how many countless hours Iā€™ve spent on my crappy wifi trying to upload a couple textures lol

1 Like