New Universal app has consistent framerate drops

Currently, as of 12/16/20, the new universal client has consistent framerate drops in-game. At what seems to be a regular interval, my framerate will drop down to 0 FPS, then will pick back up half a second later.

PC Specs are as follows:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
GPU : None (integrated chipset graphics)
RAM : 8GB

Something with the app’s lua code appears to be causing the problem, as seen in the microprofiler below:

CC @phri

7 Likes

Mine aswell, my fps drop a bit and go to 40-30, I don’t know why… might be this for sure!
(even on baseplates)

2 Likes

Thanks for the ping and detailed report! Just to note for the title, this isn’t a separate app. It’s still the same Roblox app with some beta features.

A few questions for anyone having this occur in the beta…

• In what games are you experiencing this?
  • What is your in-game graphics setting set to (1-10, auto)?
  • Can you record and send a video of these drops occurring?
  • Finally, could you zip up your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Roblox\logs folder and DM it to me?
7 Likes

Can confirm this happens with me as well, typically gets around ~75 fps on all games but would drop to 35-40 for about a second

1 Like

@Noble_Draconian @varjoy @TheRoArchitect
When you get the chance, would you be able to let me know about these questions?

3 Likes

Sure thing! I’ll try to get a recording and such by tomorrow night at the latest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Please note that filling a bug report does not guarantee that it will be fixed once triaged.

3 Likes

Any game I play.

I’ve tested with graphics level 8 and graphics level 1, as well as fullscreen vs. no fullscreen. The same issue occurs regardless of graphics level / fullscreen.

I was not able to get a recording of the problem - whenever I would start recording with any of my recording tools, the problem would stop occurring. Not sure what’s going on with that.

Sure thing! I’ll send it right now.

2 Likes

Hey @Noble_Draconian We have been having issues trying to reproduce this bug. Engineering wants to know if you are still seeing this issue on the latest client build? Just let me know so i can pass that info back to them.

3 Likes

The problem still exists in the universal app, though it happens a lot less frequently (instead of every few seconds, it happens every 10 seconds roughly):

It’s also worth mentioning that the app’s home screen completely freezes while images are loading. When I first opened the app I was frozen on the home-screen for ~20 seconds while the game’s images loaded. Scrolling in-app has a very low framerate, about 8 FPS.

1 Like

Hey Dragon,

Thanks a ton for the detailed report, our team is still working on this issue. We’ve made a few improvements, so we were wondering if you were still running into this issue. If you are, do you mind DMing me your Logs folder, as well as the microprofiler dump?

Thank you!

3 Likes

I just gave it a quick test, I didn’t see the frame stuttering occurring. Though it is worth mentioning, I tested it on a machine that has much higher specs than my laptop reported above, I’ll give it a try later on my laptop to see how that fares.

2 Likes

Hey Noble,

Just wanted to follow up and see if you had any luck replicated this issue!

I gave it a 15 minute test on my laptop with no GPU, and I did not notice any framerate drops or other unusual behaviors. Seems like it’s been fixed! :slight_smile:

3 Likes