New Updates for the UI Editor

I’m struggling to comprehend why you’d need visible UIs that only serve to block the view of what you’re building.
But I think you interpreted what I said as some kind of final solution, which it was not. (Better to build with UI off and not mess your UIs up than to keep them on and potentially mess them up)

Some people use GUIs for effects they can’t achieve without using them.

6 Likes

Full screen UI can be extremely important to world design, ie. atmospheric effects. Building with this UI off removes the ability to build with these effects in mind and how they impact the appearance of the world.

This was never a problem before, and should never have become a problem in the first place.

6 Likes

I never disagreed with that. If you need an atmospheric check then toggle it on then toggle it off when you are placing things.
I think people are jumping the gun a bit into thinking I am saying this fixes the problem or is some proper solution. I never did, so going on about how it shouldn’t be this way to me is redundant.

I am merely suggesting a workflow that helps minimize problems until this gets resolved properly.

Today is the 4 month anniversary of this post and there’s still no way to turn it off other than deleting the plugin. I can’t believe this is still an issue.

8 Likes

Is anyone from the Staff going to write an official response to this? We’re nearing half a year since this post was created and yet, after seventy-two replies, there was absolutely no staff response to this.

This is seriously breaking our workflow. Having to resort to hacky methods to solve a simple UX issue is not ideal. We get that time, money and effort were spent in this project, but this single, tiny issue is costing to us more resources than it should have saved.

This lack of communication between us and Roblox is disgustingly frustrating. It’s in small issues like this that we can see what the greater picture looks like.

14 Likes

A UI Editor toggle would seriously be nice. I get you guys are busy, I understand that, but this is seriously infuriating a lot of people. Not everybody uses the editor, so it’d be nice if perhaps you guys could install like an actual button that toggles the editor on or off in the same place you find the editor.

2 Likes

Can’t read all the replies to this thread, but someone recommend i post this video to this thread. It shows how you can adjust the UI editor plugin to toggle on and off.

Hope it helps some people out as that seems to be a common compliant.

5 Likes

So you’re telling me that this is how we can make it toggle on and off, but we need to do it every time studio updates, so 1 or more times a week at least. It’s honestly easier to just delete it seeing as almost nobody wants it so making it toggle off would be a waste of time on our part.

3 Likes

I dont disagree. Its my prefrence to have the thing deleted, but for those who do use it its better to have an alternative over nothing.

7 Likes

If you do not want to use this editor, or only want to use it at some times, be sure to check out this plugin I just released:

It lets you dynamically switch between the two. I hope that solves a majority of the usability issues with the editor while Roblox works on improving this!

10 Likes

Alright, it’s mid-2019 and there is still no update on the toggle feature?
This is partially why I dislike about developing on Roblox, being forced to use annoying and useless updates / features. ( I haven’t particularly found this ui editor helpful, if you have, well congrats).

There truly should be a toggle button, because it interrupts my entire UI development flow. When dealing with small details, I can’t see the small details, I see the annoying UI. Yes, I am fully aware of the workarounds to disable this feature, but it gets annoying, like really annoying to go deeply into the assets just to disable a simple feature?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s just that it doesn’t fit at all for me, but for newer developers (or experienced, I wouldn’t know) it might be handy. But, looking at all these replies with workarounds to delete / disable it, why isn’t there a native feature?

4 Likes

There should be a keybind for being able to move your UI instance wherever you want without it getting snapped.

Photoshop has this, and something similar would be incredibly useful such as holding down CTRL while moving the instance around to prevent it from snapping.

you need to physically change the file extension or remove the UIEditor.rbxm file in the studio plugins folder; however, if you’re too lazy to do this every time like me, I made a little Windows service with Node that should do this for you, even after studio updates: https://github.com/ClockworkSquirrel/roblox-ui-editor-disabler

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to remove the UIEditor.rbxm file and add a new, empty file in it’s place which has the same name? I’d be curious to know if ROBLOX just replaces it whether it’s there or not or if they only add it back when they don’t detect it.

Probably not going to work, I belive they check against the checksum of their files VS your local studio files and if the checksum mismatches : your “fake” UI plug-in editor file will get overwritten.

Same goes for deleting the file, the installer will detect that the file is missing and will write said file again.

I just remove the file and the annoying stuff is gone :ok_hand:
You could probably try for yourself to see if it would work, but as @TheAddictPlayer said, they will probably check the checksum between the two files.

This could be fixed with UI’s having a “Locked” option like parts.

1 Like

I feel like the UI editor is pretty useless to me - when designing UI assets for different screens, I need to be in control of when I’m using Scale / Offset. Also, UI layouts are inaccessible through the UI editor.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.