New ZIndex Property on Decals and Textures

what a simple but effective update! thanks

4 Likes

I’m so glad to see this update finally added to Roblox. It’s great for adding grime, blood, modular faces, and all sorts of other small details to games. Before this update, the only option was to make an invisible part slightly in front of what you wanted to layer.

4 Likes

Will there be any support for SurfaceAppearances or MeshPart Textures? I want to have details to be a different texture and not the same one like having a rusted part on a skinned robot without actually making a new mesh just for the appearance or clothes on models with a custom UV map.

5 Likes

nice. this will be very useful! could see this being used often.

2 Likes

This was fixed before 2020 for sure, I’m not sure of the exact date though. In other words, long time ago.

3 Likes

Will this fix the issue were textures are rendered over materials after moving a certain distance away from them?

Video of issue:
robloxapp-20210708-1945062.wmv (325.7 KB)

2 Likes

I think what he meant was if, as of this update; having a decal with a higher Zindex over the bottom one, will the bottom one still have a performance impact like it would prior to this update?

2 Likes

This is honestly a great update. I’ve been wanting something like this for awhile.

4 Likes

This opens so many doors, THANK YOU.

1 Like

So do you use it to place textures on top of other textures? Tbh, I am really confused.

This property determines the order in which a GUI renders to the screen relative to other GUIs.

The developer page shows this as the first sentence. Just curious, is it the order of what decals are placed?

3 Likes

Yes. They are basically like layers of textures

Example A

Background will have ZIndex of 1 so it will be behind the character
Character will have ZIndex of 2 so it will be above the background

Example B

5 Likes

Do you mean glass? If so, this has been the case for a long time however the decal must be on an opaque object.

1 Like

Yes I just noticed that recently, like a year ago you couldn’t see decals or textures through glass or any transparent object.

1 Like

I needed this sooo bad like 4 years ago. Wonderful update though! Thanks

2 Likes

Been waiting for a feature like this. Will definitely make custom faces much easier.

1 Like

Took a while for this feature.
But thank you.

2 Likes

Ahhhh… perfect, perfect. Thank you very much. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A ZIndex property will be great! This will allow layers which will be absolutely awesome for developers! This will allow for a fact a new, easier method of a script changing textures of a part with ZIndexes. Overall, this is a great update!

2 Likes

it has finally come… i’ve been waiting a long time for something like this!

2 Likes

Finally. This probably should have been here earlier but oh well

1 Like