Newly uploaded images excessively blurry

Images uploaded on the Roblox website as decals, then used in ImageLabels appear extremely blurry despite being set to the exact same resolution as the source with Offset. The issue seems to only be affecting images larger than 256x256 pixels.

I first encountered this issue on 8/13/2019 at ~3:00PM PST. Issue affects both PNG and JPEG images.

Relevant System Specs:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 cores
  • 1440p 144hz Monitor with G-Sync enabled for Fullscreen applications
  • Windows 10 64 bit

Properties of the ImageLabel housing the above Image ^

Notice how the test image at 256x256 pixels, saved as PNG with Alpha works fine.

Let me know if you need any other information, this has me stumped.

14 Likes

I’ve been having the same issue. I’ve uploaded 1920/1080 and 600/338 to the same result. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

3 Likes

The maximum image size is 1024x1024, so your blurry 1920x1080 image is intended.

We have a size limit of maximum of 1024x1024, which means that if you upload a larger image(in whichever direction) it will be compressed and that is where the blurry from.

1 Like

edit: sorry this topic didn’t show up when I searched to look for a duplicate post. here’s my post that was merged with this topic.

Today I’m experiencing a weird issue where any image I upload to roblox seems to reduce in size.

I upload spritesheets for my game all the time, where every sprite takes up a space of 128px x 128px.

However, today, when I uploaded this spritesheet, and set the ImageRectSize to 128 x 128, the behavior was unexpected. I expected just the rice dish sprite in the top left to be shown (as this is 128px of the original image)

As shown the image seems to have reduced in size, causing the 128x128 px ImageRectSize to cover a lot more of the image. The image also seems to be much lower in quality…? The total size of the original image was 768x512 px.

I also tried uploading a few different images, and using the ImageRectSize property, and got the exact same results.

For example, I created a 512x512 image where each square took up a 256x256 pixel region, and this image also didn’t work. My expected behavior when setting the image rect size to 256,256 would be to only see the blue square.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks

The example image given in the first post here is smaller than 1024 on both axes, though.

We are examining a similar problem reported from another thread. We will inform here when we get update.Thanks for the report~

is this on mobile or desktop client?

For Decals I believe the size restriction is 256x256 so anything above that will be resized

We have been uploading decals at 1024x1024 for our games for several years without any issues. If the size restriction has changed, that is a regression, and should be fixed.

2 Likes

We have reverted the change that affect texture uploading, thanks for your patience.

6 Likes

Thank you for addressing this! I was wondering why importing a 4000x4000+px image made a low quality version!

Thank you! The issue is resolved. Just curious, was this a bug or an unintended change to texture size limitations?

Having accurate images larger than 256x256px is an important part of my game’s workflow.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.