Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Idk if this is out of scope for the feature but it would be really useful to have sort of “layouts” of studio that you can switch between and more specifically it would be lovely to have studio automatically switch to a specific “test layout” that you have designed.
For example when playtesting my games I would like for studio to automatically close opened widgets, currently to enlarge my resolution I have to close widgets and other windows and doing this everytime I playtest does get tedious.
Also, you don’t seem to be able to make the topbar disappear? With the old UI you could click a little arrow to make the top portion of the UI mostly disappear but it seems removed now?

2 Likes

Current one is better but this new one can be way better if ux team listen to the feedback. Lets not forget what happened when they switched explorer icons, it was terrible but eventually they got it right.

I like the new icons, but why is there so much unused space?

I feel like it should maximize the viewport - here’s an idea of what I think it should look like instead, which would eliminate the wasted space and would also keep the play button on the right. It could also be a good idea to put an Output button in the blank space on the very left, since that’s something people use a lot.

Accidentally sent before I talked about the modularity though - love that part of the update a lot and look forward to playing with it.

13 Likes

Tell me you didn’t read the announcement notes without telling me… :smile: :wink:

This screenshot you show is the goal we are working towards.

More detail: We couldn’t change the top to the darker background without it looking really weird against the rest of the UI.

But we also couldn’t change the rest of the UI to the darker background without all sorts of issues. Example would be some dev at some point used a random, hardcoded color value for a text label that’s very close to the new dark background. So when we switched on the background color, some text “disappeared” — not impossible to resolve but will take a lot of time testing and fixing.

6 Likes

Still crashing, will have to reinstall studio … bummer :frowning:

There is a known issue with certain older plugins causing a crash on place open. This is the only crash we are aware of at this time.

We are working on a fix for this but in the mean time you can either disable this Beta or turn off any plugins you think may be causing the crash. You do NOT need to reinstall Studio to resolve this.

I like that the new icons are color-coded for more accessibility. Reduced clutter is always welcome, too. But my brain will inevitably need a few days to associate the new buttons/layout with their functions. Muscle memory takes time to adjust.

2 Likes

Getting all of Studio moved over to the new styling is a much bigger project than you can imagine. But we do plan to do it once we have the styling more settled.

1 Like

The biggest issue I have by far with this re-design is how much more space is taken for the same amount of info. I like the compactness of the current UI, and I don’t like having big rounded buttons that pop out.

2 Likes

Will minimized ribbons be possible?

Yes

Is there a timeline for ‘Test’ tab integration?

We are integrating various parts of the old Test tab into new areas of the UI. Multiplayer test will be in the upper left Play Test area. We just didn’t have the UI ready for it in time of this release but it will come out sooner than later.

With custom tabs you are welcome to build your own “Test” tab and put whatever tools/buttons you’d like on it. No ETA yet on custom toolbars but it’s a top priority for the team and we’re just getting started on it.

Thanks for the questions and suggestions!

4 Likes

Ok, that looks really good! It’s a mix of not being visually overwhelming like current studio, while being space efficient. Keeps the main design ideas of the new ui, while being compact.

Good to hear! I’m glad, Sounds exciting!

Step 1 is to get all of Studio using a single “background color” value and implement background coloring in the same way :laughing:

That will take a while, sadly. But I do think if we do this properly, themes and deep customization becomes highly possible.

6 Likes

Is a there a place I can find the source code to this ribbon (luau)?

One simple question if you mind, but are we able to make custom skins for Studio and put them on so we have custom UI we’d like to have?

Since the new UI is being built in Luau, I feel like we could end up seeing programs to mod the look of the UI completely. I know it would be much easier, but also still complex.

1 Like

Not anytime soon. Things will be under heavy development for a while and then there’s some work to get it into “open source” shape (not just the code but the repo set up and workflow for reviewing PRs, etc.)

But a definite possibility in the future! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Hosting studio UI under GitHub would be insane, and I would 100% be making some contributions there

1 Like

Just want to be sure, each window (explorer, toolbox, properties) has their own team, right? And if that’s the case, will there be a separate announcement post when the teams update their windows? Or will you guys just update this thread?