Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

I love this floating toolbar in other software. I would love for Studio to leave room for plugin API expansion in this space in the future. In Unity I can add stuff to this little floating toolbar for my own custom stuff, I would love to be able to do the same with Roblox for e.g. model placing plugins, special geometry tools for mirroring, edge aligning, material flipping, etc.

5 Likes

I have question , the UI is nice but with the new UI it is more optimized than the old one? Since on my old potato pc , sometimes I’m very laggy to dev and that very annoying

1 Like

as i believe the entire backend of the UI is being overhauled (the scripting and stuff) I think it will be optimised

1 Like

I enabled the feature yesterday, put my computer on sleep mode, and woke up to this madness:
Many windows were being created trying to reconnect to my place, and when I opened my computer all the tabs opened at once and the memory peaked at 14 gb, that’s pretty insane.

So this is unstable right now, enable at your own risk.

2 Likes

Any plans on making this centered to better align the buttons above?

1 Like

The crash on open place is a known issue (see top of thread) caused by some older plugins. We have this solved on our side for the next release. You can disable some or all plugins to resolve, or disable the beta until the patch arrives.

The windowing issues seem possibly unrelated as the ribbon beta doesn’t really dive into docking or place open code. I’d see if it continues to occur and file a separate bug if you see continual repro.

2 Likes

Our approach is to embrace “toolbars” in general. Toolbars can be ribbon tabs, anchored to the Viewport, docked somewhere in the Studio window, floating, etc… Whatever your preference.

If you want to keep your Viewport completely free and clear, you should be able to do that.

If you want certain toolbars to appear depending on what you’re doing or your want to temporarily clear your Viewport, you should be able to do that too.

That’s the long term goal, at least.

1 Like

We’re striving for parity at the moment performance wise, so I would not say it is more optimized. We have tested on a few “potatoes” of our own, but would be interested in hearing what your experience is as the code is new and we can only do so much internal testing compared to the combinations of HW in the open.

1 Like

Hello again,
just noticed another thing while using the Preview!
While editing a script or UI, the respective tabs (UI/Script) do not open automatically anymore. Would make sense to have them open automatically to allow direct access to the specific features, for example script formatting.
Thank you!

We have some exciting ideas around exactly this that I’m hoping we get to next year.

We’ve talked about this and it gets more complicated with custom tabs. For example, what if you build your own tab that works better for your UI or scripting workflow? It would be frustrating if we kept forcing the default versions on you.

Currently we’re thinking this could be configurable with settings. But then it brings up the question of do we just have this behavior for Scripts and UI elements or can we make it more flexible where you could set it up for any selection to highlight any tab? This sounds like the best approach to me but it will require a decent amount of design work to figure out.

Nothing is impossible, just takes time. This is the joys and fun of product management. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-studios-new-ui/2600103/1097?u=synchronisedthreads

1 Like

also im just wondering, are you going to tie the custom tabs and keybinds to studio.exe or the account? if you tie it to studio.exe the stuff will be easily share-able (I hope so if you go down this route) whereas tying it to the account makes it so you do not lose them if you have to reinstall studio (or if you’re using a different device)

Funny enough we are also talking about this now. A major settings overhaul is in the early planning phases and one thing I would like to explore is allowing certain settings/customizations to be attached to local install, creator account, team, and/or place.

It could get REALLY confusing and tricky with the team stuff in particular so we need to dig in further.

I didn’t enabled yet, due to the crash problem with plugin but if I have bad performance when enabling it , I will tell you!

As long as not too many button locations change I wont really mind this update, good job.

To drop my thoughts in here: I personally really liked being able to scroll the whole ribbon left and right. The only thing that I didn’t like about the previous scrolling implementation was that it was a clunky implementation of the idea.

I’m very much interested in being able to two-finger swipe on my trackpad - or use the second scroll wheel on my mouse - to pan across options if they can’t be compressed to fit on the screen. It saves me from having to target a small hit region precisely and issue a click, then scan a vertical menu along the vertical axis of my screen that has much less available space.

I wonder if others here have thoughts on that?

1 Like

While we’re at this topic, was wondering if you guys could add a search bar on top of the Plugins Management

Rn it’s annoying having to scroll through to look for a specific plugin if you have a ton

6 Likes

just a question: will y’all add the recording and screenshotting features back?
also i’ll probably switch my mode to dark when this feature gets forced next sping, since light mode with this feature just looks awkward :skull:

also this is like really laggy when i open a place with this new ui

other than that, nice work!

While this allows for the most customization, I do think that this approach includes a lot of additional work for your team towards a feature that only a very small amount of people will actually use. It is possible to do that, but would require too much work.

Instead of doing that, just allow for customizing the existing tabs in the ribbon as well, so that we can add our own functions to the tabs.
Or simply allow us to enable/disable the automatic opening of the UI and Script tabs (that’s how Word does it when you are editing a diagram).

1 Like