Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Hey Paul, just wanted to ask, do you have an estimate time on when the Explorer team will be able to mitiage to the new core UI? Just a little curious, that’s all. And also, will it ever get announced here?

We don’t have an explicit plan to eliminate Qt completely as it does provide a lot of native interactions with the OS. But we are going to be building less and less UI in Qt.

1 Like

as I said, I turned all of the plugins off, only UI one was enabled, but still caused crashing.

The underlying tech, where the bulk of this effort was spent, is 1000 steps forward.

I can’t begin to describe how much tech and design debt we’ve paid back here., We can build back in old and new features so much faster going forward.

3 Likes

Thank you for the sympathy :laughing:

We actually see a not too far off future where we share the same core UI workflow in LuaApp (player), Studio, and experiences. When we inevitably improve the tooling and capabilities, we all see the benefits.

2 Likes

We looked into that and there didn’t seem to be a reliable way to do it with our Qt implementation. We saw examples but they were very hacky demos.

Hey @MeshOfPaul, I just noticed another feature your team might want to add back.
We used to be able to scroll (with the mouse wheel) through the tabs. This is no longer possible, but it was quite useful. Other programs, like Word also use it, so some people (including me) might expect it to be available here too.

TL;DR One used to be able to scroll through these tabs by scrolling anywhere on the ribbon. I suggest to bring back this feature.
graphic

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is likely a crash caused by outdated plugins. A fix is coming but see the OP for the latest details.

1 Like

Yeah we know about this one. We haven’t done a ton of work on responsive layout but we have so much more capability here with Lua/Stylesheets.

1 Like

Do the built in OS screen capture tools not meet your needs? Honestly we weren’t seeing a lot of usage of the screenshot and video record tools so we didn’t think they would be missed.

Known issue with various third party plugins making deprecated function calls. The fix is ready for next week’s release and in the meantime you can disable all or certain plugins.

Reinstall is not required and won’t help.

Great to know! Thank you for the extra detail.

How do I add someone to team create??? I can’t find button.

It’s a little out of scope for this specific effort but it’s still my team and something I’m very keen to do. I imagine a not far off future where custom layouts and toolbars working together to support whatever your current workflow is. We are getting all the pieces in place to do this.

New studio has a big forehead.
Make the ribbon smaller please!

2 Likes

The RDC sneak peek was purely a design mock up and concept (for those thinking we’ve had all of this working since back then!)

We’ve gone through a couple iterations on the top level menus to get where it is today. So feel free to give us feedback on what you see there now.

1 Like

Yes! I forgot we showed some of this but it is what we are eventually building our way towards. It will be a long road but we are setting everything in place to get there.

1 Like

A documented known issue in the OP. It will be there soon.

Great feedback and similar to what others have said. Thank you!