Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

as a developer who has constantly had to deal with constant changes that completely ruin my workflow over the years, i am genuinely begging that you make something like this entirely optional or toggleable within the settings, the current UI is already functional, it makes it harder for people who already know (and like) the way it is!

there is absolutely NO chance that these massive changes will be optional.

while the current UI may work for users like you, its back-end system lacks the functionality needed for Roblox engineers to develop reliable code on top of it.

You now have the opportunity to provide feedback on what you’d like to see changed in Studio’s Next Gen UI. Currently the UI is not perfect for me either, but I have given a lot of feedback knowing that it is heard. The product owners behind this are constantly in touch with us here on the forum just to get feedback.
Now it is your choice if you want to help shape the future of Studio’s UI or not.

9 Likes

Hello, the tooltips I talk about are on the topbar, I was in Edit mode, probably happens in test mode, i have to see. The entire studio window lags. And to add, I am running an AMD Ryzen 5800H and a RTX 3060, I am not running it on a 10 year old HP.

1 Like

Oh, thank you so much!

It also looks like you just fixed the bug where being focused on the game would cause the first click on the toolbar to not work.

so thank you!

1 Like

I dont know if this is reported yet, but if you have alot of plugins and u click the 3 docs at right to see more, u cant see them all.

as you can see at bottom, heres more plugins but i cant see/click them.

1 Like
3 Likes

When a plugin widget is deleted, it switches from whatever script is open back to the viewport. Is this behavior intentional and can it be changed so that it doesn’t do this in the next generation interface and in the current interface?

Yep we are aware of this. Clearly we need to scroll the overflow menu at least but I’d also like us to consider just allowing the tab toolbar to scroll left/right so there is no overflow menu.

2 Likes

@bvetterdays This should be live now!

2 Likes

If this ever comes out of beta, will this be optional? I hope so, because some people might not like the new look like with the new icons. A lot of people did not like the new studio icons. And I do not like the new look. Or maybe even better CUSTOM THEMES so I can do stuff like adjust stuff like corner radius and color and lots of stuff
If this comes out I might switch to making my games in an older version of Studio because I do not like it (for now) /hj

Luau analysis keeps crashing for me on the new UI. I don’t know what it is I’m doing, but occasionally hov will stop working, syntax errors will stop being detected, autocomplete will stop popping up, etc. Script Analysis contents stay but never update. I have to restart Studio and then it will work again.

Trying to use “Close Place” after this happened had my Studio freeze and crash.

1 Like

Will this also give more Widget control for plugins? And as off now it doesn’t seem like the topbar can be collapsed, which will be annoying for people with smaller screens.

I really, really don’t like the amount of wasted space and the unnecessarily larger top area of the UI. When the ribbon was on the same row as the FILE dropdown, a lot more of that space was utilised; now, not only is the ribbon on its own row, it seems to be much taller than it was before, making everything else (explorer, properties, toolbox, viewport etc.) even shorter and fitting in less information. For me personally, I’m already trying to cram as much info as possible without compromising too much on the size of the viewport and this new UI doesn’t help with that. I also can’t find local servers anywhere…

As someone else also suggested, you should also do what apps like VSCode, Discord and Blender do where they implement their own window titlebar and integrate functionality (like the ribbon) into it. Currently, it’s even more wasted space.

Also a couple bugs (which I don’t believe are known issues): many of the new tooltips (the old, dark ones are fine) seem to flash with what seems to be the text rapidly resizing/rerendering (the gif is slowed down a lot, but it shows what’s happening well enough)…
tooltipflash

…and plugins with long names have their icons offset upwards to the point their buttons bleed into the ribbon. Truncate the text, maybe?

5 Likes

Yes collapsing the ribbon will be coming soon.

I can confirm this and it’s def one of the biggest issues currently. Sometimes they justy pop up and it causes crazy lag until you hover over it for ~10s to get rid of it

1 Like

Very cool feature just appeared! Don’t know if the top text is intentional though :sob:

yeah im also getting that after opening studio, not to mention it results in a freeze

1 Like

• I like the idea of how it’s more like standardized softwares, like the menu!
  • Custom tabs are a blessing!

Dislikes

• The new ribbon’s style is different from other UIs(anything below the ribbon top bar). The ribbon is in a rounded more soft style but others are harsh sharp style. I can stick with both styles although I hope the style will be made the consistent. (Roblox probably already consider this since it seems they haven’t touched anything other than the ribbon)
  • The new icons are way too small. I also dislike the overuse of the outline style, some icons outlines are fine but some just makes it less legible.
  • Too. Much. Padding. Overall seems to have a lot of wasted space and does not feel compact.
  • Some of “shading” on the various icons just seem random? Like why does the “Script” icon just have a light teal shade on the left side for no apparent reason? I guess it gives it the identity of “scripting related stuff” but I would prefer a tint on the icon or some indicator UI(like a colored rectangle outline or dot on the corner).

Feedback/Ideas

• I hope the default tabs are customizable, some tools are too redundant and I like sticking to using properties window rather than clicking the “Color” button. Is it because I’m innately a scripter? Haha
  • I wish for custom keybinds :pray:
  • More (perhaps customizable) tools in the “Play Test controls” section. (Is there a proper name for this section?)
  • Search function in the “Help” menu.
  • Allowing plugin buttons to be in tabs other than the “Plugin” tab would be really nice!

A rant? don’t know what to title this lol

The current studio UI seems to present a lot of (useless, at least to me) tools. There’s simply so many redundant tools that other windows can do the same. For example, the “Color” button functionality exists in the Properties window or the various buttons that just creates instances(there’s like probably 10?) when that can just be done using Ctrl + I or clicking the + icon in Explorer.

1 Like

It does look sick, but please make it toggleable

1 Like