Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Yeah still a decent amount of work to be done here. If that dropdown scrolled, would that be best vs scrolling the entire tab left/right?

I’m mostly impressed you have that many plugins that aren’t causing the crash bug others are seeing. :laughing:

It didn’t make it in this release but it’s coming soon. Please see the OP release notes.

Tell us how you would like it to work. :slight_smile:

Shortcut keys are such an underrated capability! We do have plans to improve the UX of managing shortcuts eventually.

Ribbon show/hide option will be coming very soon.

Known issue documented in the OP. Local server testing will appear sooner than later.

1 Like

You still have some plugins in enabled but the plugins tab is blank? Is the Plugins menu also blank? If you can share logs that would be helpful!

1 Like

Bless you guys for aiming to do a better job than Unity lol. Unity just went and hardcoded everything into textures for exclusively two themes.

1 Like

Great call out and it seems totally doable. Thank you!

4 Likes

This might be a bit off topic but it relates to your reply.

If you guys do end up overhauling the UI editor with the tools to the left as shown in the images, I hope you will consider that this UI is taking up screen space and will hurt the overall UI workflow, it does appear that you can move it around but this doesn’t really help if you’re forced to temporarily move it on top of other existing UI and having to constantly move it around seems tedious. I’m sure that this will be toggleable but it might turn people away that do actually want to utilize a feature like this.

1 Like

well personally I would like the ability to add custom shortcuts like for example the ability to weld two parts together without the use of plugins (of course you would have to have the user script it) and stuff from other tabs being able to be pulled into the custom tab, you should also make it so you can hotkey the custom shortcuts by the way I think that would be pretty useful

1 Like

Team Create / Collaborator UI will be coming back to the upper right very soon. For now it’s a known issue that it’s not there.

1 Like

I love this floating toolbar in other software. I would love for Studio to leave room for plugin API expansion in this space in the future. In Unity I can add stuff to this little floating toolbar for my own custom stuff, I would love to be able to do the same with Roblox for e.g. model placing plugins, special geometry tools for mirroring, edge aligning, material flipping, etc.

5 Likes

I have question , the UI is nice but with the new UI it is more optimized than the old one? Since on my old potato pc , sometimes I’m very laggy to dev and that very annoying

1 Like

as i believe the entire backend of the UI is being overhauled (the scripting and stuff) I think it will be optimised

1 Like

I enabled the feature yesterday, put my computer on sleep mode, and woke up to this madness:
Many windows were being created trying to reconnect to my place, and when I opened my computer all the tabs opened at once and the memory peaked at 14 gb, that’s pretty insane.

So this is unstable right now, enable at your own risk.

2 Likes

Any plans on making this centered to better align the buttons above?

1 Like

The crash on open place is a known issue (see top of thread) caused by some older plugins. We have this solved on our side for the next release. You can disable some or all plugins to resolve, or disable the beta until the patch arrives.

The windowing issues seem possibly unrelated as the ribbon beta doesn’t really dive into docking or place open code. I’d see if it continues to occur and file a separate bug if you see continual repro.

2 Likes

Our approach is to embrace “toolbars” in general. Toolbars can be ribbon tabs, anchored to the Viewport, docked somewhere in the Studio window, floating, etc… Whatever your preference.

If you want to keep your Viewport completely free and clear, you should be able to do that.

If you want certain toolbars to appear depending on what you’re doing or your want to temporarily clear your Viewport, you should be able to do that too.

That’s the long term goal, at least.

1 Like