Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

adding on, you should most likely make it age verified only to upload, alt accounts could be a problem for an infestation of viruses (like we already have for obscure modules in toolbox)
moving on, what somebody else has said you should allow for theme changes to be more accessible, to start color pickers/hex codes is a good beginning and allowing for gradients could make for a good customisation kit but to make it so that it’s an absolute perfect setting allow for images to be set as the theme background and you should make it local to allow for images that wouldn’t get through moderation be allowed as the theme change (this is unhinged I guess however its localized, you arent uploading it to roblox and so I do not think it can harm children in any way as they would have to already have the image saved to their computer) as well as adding the rendering features (default and pixelated, allow for pixelated to how far it goes be customisable since its not based on studs) and ImageRectOffset + the other one and finally, the options to have it cropped,stretched,fit (maybe not this one) and tiled as well as how transparent it is and finally to have the ability to make it so that the image overlay gets the color change with gradients and have the gradients be able to be rotated. Thats all I can think of for a good range of customisation, please let me know if something cannot be accepted!

My thoughts:

I’ve been using this new generation of UI for the last couple of hours, and while it looks much more pleasing and modernized, I have noticed some flaws that may slow down workflow for developers. Some features are missing from the buttons, and moving the view tab makes navigation more difficult.

On the positive side, I really like the new window tab for opening different windows, and adding color to the icons makes it easier to identify what I’m clicking on. Overall, I hope some major changes are made before the beta release is finished, but it’s a great start!

(I also cannot find game settings nor can I find team create settings.)

I would love for Studio to leave room for plugin API expansion in this space in the future.

A lot of this work has been “under the hood” in revamping a lot of the interaction architecture in Studio. The goal is to eliminate a lot of the “special case” stuff that goes on (and the Ribbon is a hub for this) such that the entirety of Studio is driven from simple APIs. Right now plugins only have a sliver of the access that internal modules/plugins have. So a natural effect is that as we progress here it becomes much more possible to allow extensions from plugins to all points of the UI - all menus, toolbars, UI elements, etc. Of course, there’s some safety considerations etc, so these changes will lag behind the UI changes, but its certainly in our minds in doing this and on the horizon.

4 Likes

the team create + game settings isnt currently in the revamped UI, it will be returning though do not worry

3 Likes

The current UI is pretty outdated, so I’m glad it’s going to be changed. I’ll be waiting for the full release in 2025! :+1:

Collaborator presence and management is called out in the release notes. It’s coming soon.

Plugin developers are responsible for the text/label displayed for their tools. Feel free to reach out to them and let them know their formatting should be updated.

Thanks for the notes! Game Settings is under the File menu.

Team Create UI is a known issue and on the way.

1 Like

Yes the ability to make your own toolbars is in the plan.

The way these new drop down buttons work is when you select a drop down option, that now becomes the main top level action (you should see the icon change). The idea is you can then just one click that top level button once you set it.

1 Like

I think this is a nice UI, and definitely an improvement with current UI. However, with the beta enabled, Studio always seems to crash whenever I open a game, demonstrated by the video below:

You can see I have the next gen UI enabled, but the second the Toolbar window starts to load in when loading a game, Studio crashes a few seconds later. I understand this is a beta feature, but my studio did not crash for other beta features that were enabled.

EDIT: Just saw that 3rd party plugins are the issue, I’ll try disabling them

“Save to File” options are only available for non-Team Create places. I’m not exactly sure on the reason why but this is not new behavior (just tested with old UI)

1 Like
1 Like

oh and almost forgot, allow for the filters to allow for classnames instead of only name it will be really useful in certain case scenarios

no i wanna know why nothing popping up like the tabs that would be behind the plugin thingy
(im guessing its cuz im using macos 10.13 [not by choice])

the plugin tab is not open to show sometjing about the plugins its open to show that I, personally do not like how this new ui is on mac.

EDIT: If you have oozledraw, disable it as it crashes Studio if you have this beta enabled.

I disabled some plugins and it worked.
Here’s a list of plugins that I disabled, if you have one of these plugins and want to use the beta try disabling these:

(Crossed out plugins have been tested and WON’T cause crashing)

• Player Outfits Importer
  • BuildV4.1
  • Import from F3X
  • JTOH Kit Tools
  • oozledraw
  • Part to Terrain
  • ThreeDText 2

(I will be testing these and seeing which ones cause crashing)

2 Likes

Would it be possible to maintain the Import 3D, team test? Import 3D is essential to upload items such as custom rigs from modelling software.

I would also recommend implementing the text underneath what each group of tools use is because it is conceptually helpful for beginners to Roblox Studio

One final preference would be to have all these buttons to be shrunken to one tab like the original ui. This is just because the 3d viewport is reduced which can be unhelpful especially for users on lower resolutions/alternative FOV, etc.

Edit: Some plugins take up space in the 3d Viewport (Examples: Studio Build Suite, GeomTools: ResizeAlign, Gapfill, BuildV4, Asset Creator, Paint on Click, F3X Building Tools). Having reduced space will also make using these tools a little bit harder.

The custom toolbar ui is definitely a very good idea.

Thank you for reading

Yeah i can imagine that… Was most likely why the original screenshot had these windows closed

Import 3D is available in the File menu since it’s a file operation. If it’s an operation you use frequently, I’d recommend binding a Shortcut key to the Import 3D action.

For custom tabs, you will be able to put any tool on one (or more) tabs. Many actions/tools you see in the Shortcuts or Quick Open UI will be able to place on a toolbar.

OK I’m sorry I misunderstood. Your screenshot does look odd. Can you show more?

Right now macOS 10.13 is our minimum requirement so it should work for you.

There used to be a download to file option in the old UI, is there any way you guys could bring it back?

This option should be available for use because if it doesn’t commissioners have to put up a lot more effort giving their work