Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Click on the title bar → View → Device

Nevermind I’m an idiot. Althout will this be a button in the custom page in the future?

Probably, I hope so… Maybe it will be a feature where you could put devices in a custom ribbon tab :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Wait, is it fixed yet? It’s been a week now.

1 Like

One thing not in the “Known Issues” list is the Material and Color selectors on the existing UI show the last selection on a quick apply button.

On the UI preview, you have to select it again every time, slowing down people who use these buttons to apply color and material often.

Existing UI Preview UI
image image
3 Likes

We believe this is solved. Are you on version 635? Otherwise it will not be. If you disable the beta, does it work?

2 Likes

Not sure if many people would want this but while multiplayer testing in studio what if you had the option to dock the windows into the main studio tab. I personally find so many tabs to open quite annoying and inefficient and would find docking those way more convenient

4 Likes

On your keyboard, Ctrl + Z.

As for the UI button, It seems they removed it. only visual button i can find for undo/redo is in the “Edit” dropdown

2 Likes

Yes, I am using the latest version 635. Disabling it works perfectly fine, but once I enable it and try to open a place, the studio crashes. I have tried disabling plugins and then enabling this feature and I can access and enable all plugins with no problems, but once I close the studio it crashes again and won’t let me open any place.

2 Likes

Hey there, looking to design a suite of more intuitive tools for Particle Effects, and was wondering if there would be plugin integration for the new work environments? I would like to create some tools before hand, and was wondering if there would be documentation release before these are implemented just so I can know what I am working with?

4 Likes

It would be really helpful to get a list of plugins you are using, or even better if you could narrow down to a specific subset of plugins that cause a crash so we can repro. You can also DM me logs generated after a crash.

4 Likes

Been using for a little over a week. Really wish device emulation had a spot! I toggle between it a lot.

7 Likes

Does anyone know where the moving and scaling based on collisions toggle is?

2 Likes

I LIKE the fact that you’re using LUAU to code the UI, which could benefit the community. But the new UI, just looks… bad. My main problem is all of that spacing! If you tried to make it look a bit less spaced, I wouldn’t even hate the new UI.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone has already mentioned this. But I noticed the cursor becomes “slowed/sluggish” when moving it over the code editor. Even typing code feels sluggish. I know it’s just a preview so im betting this is expected while in beta? Of course, switching back to the regular UI removes the slowed/sluggish feel

2 Likes

Just curious: why do you prefer the toolbar buttons over keyboard shortcuts for these actions?

3 Likes

New Creators anyway need time to learn UI of studio…

Sure. But we can make that time shorter and less painful. Many new creators quit out of confusion and frustration. Surely you remember how long it took you to get proficient in Studio?

Cool!, but why not on QT

I cover this in the OP but the short version is Qt does not allow for the styling control we need. Building the UI the same way our player side does is also a big win.

Really? I’m sure that in release it be constant bugs. Maybe instead of making new UI just fix bugs?

I wished it were that simple. The current UI doesn’t just have bugs, it has fundamental flaws in it’s architecture that make it a pain to work with, incredibly easy to make poorly performing code, and simply wouldn’t support some functionality creators have been requesting for several years. This was the right decision.

10 Likes

Yes, we are eliminating mountains of spaghetti code that evolved over many years.

7 Likes

I think we should put it in the Play Test area and that’s my recommendation to our design team. But also yes you’d be able to add this back into a tab with customization.

3 Likes

It’s a known issue (thanks for at least checking the notes!) — we’ll be getting the new Material Manager and Texture stuff in soon. Toolbar buttons will update properly too.

4 Likes