Nexus Sync - Roblox Studio output to VSCode output - Rojo/Argon

Nexus Sync
GitHub Repositiory

About

I made a vscode extension that lets you sync your studio output to vscode output, so you can have your output all in one place.

I mainly created this to complement my Rojo workflow so that when you have errors/infinite yields etc that provide a stack trace, you can click on it and it will open the script in your vscode editor to the affected line number.

You don’t need Rojo or Argon as it is entirely optional for the base output logs to work, but you will not have clickable stack traces.

Features

• Colorised output messages, formatted based on message type

• Connects automatically or manually via plugin settings

• Rojo/Argon support: clickable stack trace file sources

Installation

• Install the Visual Studio Code Extension from the marketplace or package it yourself
  • Install the Roblox Plugin from Roblox or build it yourself using Rojo

GitHub

More up to date details are on the GitHub for fast installation, but if you have any questions/suggestions etc feel free to respond to this post!

21 Likes

So cool! Save this for later to install this :heart:

1 Like

Looks amazing! Going to give this a try - very promising :muscle:

1 Like

long awaited, definitely should of been implemented in rojo to begin with! thank you for this resource

1 Like

thank you sir i love this plugin and i love you

2 Likes

i appreciate everyone for the kind words! This is my first open-source contribution, and seeing the positive reception is great.

apparently “Argon” has sourcemap support, so I’ll be curious to know if this works for anyone using Argon, as it theoretically should

Haven’t used this yet, but let you know if argon works with this.

Edit: Works just fine!

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s a bug.

You cannot apply a different port number to the roblox plugin?

1 Like

Thank you for spotting that! This is an oversight in the code. This will be fixed in the next patch by tomorrow. Glad to hear it works with Argon :happy1:

Yeah no problem! Since it works with argon, you should probably change the title! Anyways good work on this!

1 Like

0.3.0 - August 15th, 2024

• Fixed not being able to adjust port number in plugin settings
  • Fixed problems finding scripts if there are multiple projects in the same workspace
  • Fixed messages being marked as “trace” when they are not apart of a stack trace
  • Slightly improved reliability if you have multiple Roblox Studios open
1 Like

This is a sick plugin. I’m really excited at the prospect of being able to add this to my workflow (less widgets in Studio wooooooooo)

One problem I’m having is that my output contents appear to be duplicated:

vs

One QoL suggestion would be just outputting an instance’s name when it is the index of a table to achieve parity with Roblox Studio and clean up the output:
Ex:

vs

Otherwise, loving it.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions and the bug report!

Edit: After doing some digging around, I’ve found that the following studio setting (when enabled) causes the duplication issues:

When you test play, it effectively loads the plugin twice if this setting is enabled, causing duplication. I will roll out a patch for this in the next update, and as for the tables, I’ll look into improving this as you suggested as well.

Thank you!

1 Like

Let me know if you have any issues with the newer version, everything should work as expected now.

cc @https_KingPie

0.3.5 - August 28th, 2024

• Fixed duplicated output messages by disabling the plugin during Test Play

• Improved output messages when an Instance is passed in the output

• Added project json file name setting for the extension

• Argon is now supported for multi place projects

1 Like