Noclipping through walls with roblox recorder

Basically people are clipping through walls by turning their graphics up to 10 and starting to record with the roblox recorder. As a result of the lag, they can clip through walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLY2dIDYC7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLGJ68Z2d-I

Getting instructions on how they do this has people saying to turn graphics up, walk straight against a thinnish wall and start recording. People have been recorded going through walls as thick as 0.6 studs with this.

Any solutions other than making every wall thicker in the meantime?

2 Likes

Could do a simple ray check in 3 directions (top front back) and get the length of the ray. If its super short, send the character backwards in the opposite velocity. Could do a client framerate check to throttle the ray checks (lower fps, higher frequency)

Torso.Velocity = Humanoid.MoveDirection * -Humanoid.WalkSpeed

Not sure if this would work. Could use move direction and just reset the CFrame just as easily.

Is PGS on?

I just tried and couldn’t do it

you must have to have a really shitty computer or something

2 Likes

Yes, PGS is on, it only started happening after using this, but it brings benefits with other things in the game.

This happens mostly due to the parts not loading in fast enough with crappy internet or crappy PC, not gonna lie I used this at the egg hunt to get rare eggs before the other nubs…

I’ve noticed its extremely recent though, never used to happen as often as it does now.

1 Like

The parts are loaded, someone sent me an instructional video (can’t find it now) from their viewpoint, all the parts had loaded, just the lag from starting the recorder causes them to go through the wall

Really? Whenever this happens to me the part legitimately just doesn’t load even thoughI’ll be right up against the part… probably something separate I guess.

I think I know how this works.

First: PGS only calculates physics at 30 hz, whereas spring calculated physics at 120 hz. There is a finer distinction, but I won’t go into it.

Second: humanoids move at a constant rate in time and not a constant rate per frame.

Third: for PGS to be completely fooled, the character needs to move a minimum of 1.6 studs per frame. 1.6 studs is the width of a humanoid root part plus the width of the wall. At 30 frames per second, that is 480 studs per second.

Fourth: The frames per second required for a 16 studs per second humanoid to move at 1.6 studs per frame is 10 frames per second.

Fifth: Getting your framerate below ten is easy if you have a low-to-mid powered computer and you tell it to a) render a lot of the scene, and 2) use roblox’s really intensive ingame recording feature.

Sixth: Escape the jail.

Is this documented somewhere? Not doubting you, however I’m curious to see if there’s more information between the two solvers.

PGS calculates physics at 240Hz just like the old solver did. Although it is true that the collision detection was done even at finer rate with the old solver.

1 Like

Yes bad frame rate tends to do that to collision detection. The humanoid essentially teleports from one side of the wall to the other in one single update.

If you expect having bad frame rate, make the walls thicker.

Is there nothing that can be done to patch it? This seems like a problem relevant to all games. And how is every person who owns a place on ROBLOX going to know they need to make their walls thicker to stop this?

2 Likes

this might explain why people with low end computers fall through the floor in my game when they load in

Maybe a ray check between last position and current position each second?

2 years later

4 Likes