Non roblox developers copying roblox games?

I wanna start of by saying I wasn’t sure where to put this, so I put it where I thought made the most sense. Its fairly commen for roblox developers to steal games or ideas from outside developers, for example counter blox, strucid and so on. Just wanna clarify by “idea” I mean a complete rip off, for example, strucid copying fortnites building system without adding anything innovative to it. My question is, what would happen if someone decides to make pet simulator in unity, and publish it to steam?

2 Likes

They’d probably not earn much lol. Roblox’s Target audience and thus recommendation algorithms are centered around that 6-14 age market that prefers simpler games.

8 Likes

It comes down to whether or not you can copyright a game’s design. Which to my understanding you can’t do that currently (thankfully.) Meaning I can make my own “Search and Destroy” game and do my own unique theme and everything I want. You can’t go through and copy things like Characters and their design, the maps, basically things that would be copyright (images, etc…)

In my eyes, yes there will be straight rip-offs and worse versions but if the developer really wants to be successful they will add on and “upgrade” the overall game and this leads to better games for everyone.

1 Like

Previous replies are spot on, as long as they aren’t breaching any copyright (brand names etc) or stealing intellectual property, not much would happen and the game wouldn’t be very successful as the games are targeted at a specific audience that may not be allowed on more mature platforms.

I doubt that they would do that.

They would have to create their own online 3D engine, like Roblox did.

It seems like a waste of time to that, just to steal a game off of roblox.

No, not really. A Roblox game can be recreated with an existing engine or other utility. Who said you need to write an entire engine just to make a port, inspired or straight-copied Roblox game on another platform?

2 Likes

The game would most likely fail.

There are thousands of games located on the steam market that would first prevent the game from getting out there, and secondly reduce their playerbase.

If you reduce the playerbase their revenue would reduce, if they don’t have enough for hosting (which is fortunately covered by roblox for us developers) they’d be forced to shut down the game.

Could they pull it off? possibly, but would it be successful? Highly doubt it.

Most Roblox games would not last long without Roblox if they were a separate game. Sure, Phantom Forces and maybe a couple of other games would last, but most games wouldn’t. If you look at a game such as Bloxberg or Jailbreak, they are popular on Roblox because Roblox has simple games, which can be afforded because there are millions of games for a player to choose from, and when they become tired of game A, they can switch to game B, then game C, and come back to game A. If these games were on their own, then users would not be able to switch between smaller games and keep coming back, instead they would become too tired. In addition, 99.99% of Roblox games are free, so if someone were to copy a Roblox game, they would have to create it to be a lot better than the game on Roblox if they wish to sell their game to users.