Non-Uniform Union Scaling Beta

This is going to help out a lot when trying to make complicated structures using unions.

3 Likes

Did you restart studio? That might work if you have such issues like this.

1 Like

My vote would be for option 2, but with a slight modification. I would think checking the Place’s Studio version is was saved with (I’m assuming the version it was saved with is present in the file) and defaulting the flag to on/off based on this would allow games that are semi-popular, but not often updated, to continue to work after this feature graduates into production. Eventually for newer experiences this flag would just be defaulted to on. This would allow the rollout to last a long time and give those games not updated often a fighting chance to make the change.

1 Like

About time we see this, this is going to make building a lot easier.

2 Likes

I’ve been building a lot with unions recently and this update came out at a perfect time. Thank you.

5 Likes

This sounds really useful for builders!

2 Likes

Really glad to see this update at this has been a re-occurring issue for me.

2 Likes

Will we be able to get Non-Uniform basepart shapes as well? This would be very useful to have Instead of creating a union of a plain shape just to achieve this.

1 Like

See this reply earlier in the thread: Non-Uniform Union Scaling Beta - #21 by tnavarts

TL;DR: Unfortunately there’s no easy path to us allowing that.

4 Likes

Building seen in roblox studio below.

The same building when published.

I am fuming, when is the feature coming to public, because I sure messed up my game due to this beta feature that I used to stretch unions.

Reverted the damage by disabling the feature and having physically resize each part to it’s original size, it affected the cylinders and wedges.

4 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, see the F.A.Q. I added.

This is still a Studio beta and not live but if you really want to use the non-uniformly scaled unions in a live game already you can do this by wrapping them in an additional union so that the outermost union isn’t scaled (because the client just loads the CSG mesh and doesn’t care what internal combination of parts resulted in that mesh).

3 Likes

I have noticed that after enabling this beta feature, one of the unions in my game did break or “enlarge” examples shown below.

I will be attaching an RBXM file if it helps.

Notice the rotated square sign with the crossing, height, and obstruction decals.

Before:

Before Images

After:

After Images

This is also shown whilst in-game.

I also noticed that the minimum scaling for unions has gotten larger, as before, I had unions as thin as 0.005, now that has gotten bigger and the signs are now overlapping and are z-fighting as shown.

Z-fighting

RotatedSquare.rbxm (5.7 KB)

2 Likes

When you resize it the smallest it lets you resize it on 1 axis would be 0.05 and not 0.001

Could you guys fix this? I have road markings that go 0.001 and some are unioned and it looks weird.

Yes, someone else reported this too and I’m looking into it. Seeing as some people were using letterbox scaling to “cheat” the minimum size, this would be a good time to modify that limit and it looks like it’s mostly a legacy leftover that we can remove.

1 Like

Why does this people start happening bug Roblox studio when they are building

Really neat! I use this to “flatten” the normals on a part before performing operations on it so that decals get project on the faces that I want them to. I then resize the part back afterwards.

Here’s a spray paint tool that I was working on.
Before (when used on sharp angles, the texture only gets projected on one of the sides):

After:

20 Likes

Can use this for resizing ball parts instead of a ball mesh, heck, why stop there! Create yourself a hole collection of custom non uniform resizable parts!

Hell yeah! I haven’t used Roblox Studio in ages, and I’m really glad to see this feature. I’ve been waiting for it for as long as CSG’s existed.

I wish the UVs could be rescaled (or whatever’s causing this issue) like MeshParts, however. Though I’m sure something like that is coming in the future… right?

Fnally! I’m happy it’s now a feature!

Yes, in fact I already wrote a fix for this! It should be fixed in Studio v523 which releases on the 29th.

4 Likes