Not enough contrast in the Explorer!

Hi! This is a really lame and easy bug report. In Studio dark mode, I’m having a hard time seeing the dropdown arrows next to models. They’re near invisible with just a little bit of screen glare and the solution is leaning far forward or far left or right.

If they were white or even grey, it’d make a big difference in usability!

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 12.58.20 PM

For whatever reason, I’m only noticing this after updating to Big Sur but I have no clue why. In my mind, these should have stayed the same when updating my computer. I don’t even remember what they looked like before so maybe I’m going crazy!

24 Likes

I believe it’s important to specify this is a mac issue. I’m currently on windows and have not experienced this bug.

Normally, the drop-down arrows look like this:

No clue if this will work but have you tried switching to light theme and then back again?

7 Likes

It only seems to do this if the Appearance in System Preferences > General is set to Light while the Studio theme is set to Dark (or vise versa)

I am using a 2018 13-Inch MacBook Pro running macOS 11.2.3

The dropdown arrows in the Explorer with the system appearance set to “Light” with Studio theme set to dark:
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.07.41 PM

This is what it looks like when both the system and Studio themes are set to Dark:

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.08.09 PM

The arrows are completely invisible if the macOS system theme is set to “Dark” and the Studio theme is set to “Light”
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.14.06 PM

They are really hard to see but at least slightly visible if you set the macOS appearance to “Light” while the Studio theme is set to “Light”

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.15.04 PM

12 Likes

it just happens sometimes when you swtich users, i’ve had it experienced to me too even though i do not use a mac

Oddly enough this is not solving it on my machine. Also on 11.2.3 but on an older mid-2013 Mac Pro.

2 Likes

Are you using the new materials beta build of Studio? The materials beta build of Studio is still using Qt 5.6 unlike the normal release of Studio which is using Qt 5.12. The arrows in the Explorer were always black for me with both the system and Studio themes set to Dark on the normal build of Studio on macOS Big Sur until the Qt framework in Studio was updated to Qt 5.12.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

7 Likes

Yeah this has been a thing since Big Sur came out… I’m using light mode on my Mac yet dark mode in RobloxStudio… not sure why that’s happening…

The issue seems to be even worse on Apple Silicon Macs. I can’t even see the arrow.