[NOT SOLVED!] .fbx model does not import embedded textures

Does it respond with any errors upon importing or mark exclamation marks in the Import menu under the model that has the texture?

No. No errors regarding geometry or anything else that would give a warning sign in the menu while importing, otherwise I would say so. This also is not a Blender issue. The model renders perfectly inside the Material Render and Rendered viewing modes.

ROBLOX Studio does not support importing meshes with multiple textures. What you have to do is open Edit Mode, and then press P, and separate the mesh into separate parts by material.

1 Like

When I selected all, then hit Separate by Material, it just doesn’t work.

I would really like some light shed on this as I don’t know what the issue is.
Someone please help! :crying_cat_face:

it looks like there are multiple material textures applied to it, upload all textures separately, import the mesh, add an object into it called “SurfaceAppearance” and then apply the textures in correct spots

If I try to just use PNG textures and apply them individually, they do not work in studio.

Just said this. The textures will not line up on multiple parts correctly.

are all parts of the model correctly uv mapped? you might need to send some further details (preferably a screenshot with all individual parts visible in blender)

As far as I know, they are all correctly wrapped. What do you need to see?
Nodes, UV Map, Materials?

how many parts are in this model

ok, connect it all into one part, then check if all assigned polys are still moving like they should, try it in studio

What does merging them accomplish?

Edit: Didn’t work

Bro why cant no one can solve this :skull:

Bump: Still unsolved, thank you for looking at this post

Hi @pwnd_boi9! :smiley: My name is Juan and I want to know some things:

1. How do you export the asset as a .fbx and preview the file with the feature 3D Importer?

2. Does the asset has any Armatures?

3. Are the textures PBR?

I am willing to find out a solution for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1. I export it as an .fbx and set the path mode to Copy, enabling Embedded Textures

2. It has 2 Armatures

3. The textures have a Diffuse, Gstack, and Normal map as well as Tilemaps

Is there anything else you would like to know?
I am a Blender novice so you will have to explain a lot of things to me in your solutions.

Heya @pwnd_boi9! Thank you for the return!

After seeing your responses, one of the things I went completely bugged out, with a blank face was this little part called “Path Mode”. I dug down a bit to see and understand better what it does and basically, it is a way of how the program handles the file after exportation. It contains 5 types:

1. Auto:
  • Uses relative paths for files within the exported location’s subdirectory.
  • Uses absolute paths for files outside that subdirectory.
  1. Absolute:
  • Always uses full file paths, regardless of the file’s location.
  1. Relative:
  • Always uses relative paths, except when the file is on a different drive in Windows.
  1. Match:
  • Chooses between relative and absolute paths based on how paths are used within Blender.
  1. Strip Path:
  • Only includes the filename when exporting, omitting the file’s location path.
  1. Copy:
  • Copies the file when exporting and references the copied file with a relative path.

Furthermore, the textures you provided are PBR (Physically Based Rendering)! However, I notice a few of them are in “Diffuse” and “Gstack”… According to the Roblox Creator Documentation, SurfaceAppearance (an instance where you can configure the texture details, physically speaking) does not support “Gstack” and “Diffuse”, only “Normal”, “Alpha”, “Roughness” “ColorMap” and “Metalness”.

SurfaceAppearence

Supports:

• Normal.
  • Alpha.
  • Roughness.
  • Metalness.
  • Color.

Does Not Support:

• Gstack.
  • Height.
  • Thickness.
  • Diffuse.
  • Emissive.
  • Specular.
  • Glossiness.
  • Displacement.
  • Ambient Occlusion.
  • IOR.
  • Reflection.

Source: https://create.roblox.com/docs/en-us/reference/engine/classes/SurfaceAppearance

With all being in mind, try a few things and see if it works:

Method A:

• Remove the unnecessary PBR textures that Roblox does not support and import using the 3D Importer.

Method B:

• Remove the unnecessary PBR textures that Roblox does not support, change the Path Mode to Auto, and import using the 3D Importer.

Moreover, make sure that your asset is following the limit of Triangles, which is 21k.

1 Like

Thank you for this detailed response! This helped a lot.

Are there any ways I can convert the model’s textures into supported SurfaceAppearance materials? I want to completely replicate the gun’s looks but that means I would need to copy the textures on the gun currently. If I cannot then I guess I can’t use this model.

Hey @pwnd_boi9,

Thanks for the patient.

IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), I remembered searching for something similar and the only results that I could obtain was putting Displacement Map and Ambient Occlusion:

This is the only wacky way I could find and no other types to include Gstack, Diffuse, etc to be featured in the SurfaceAppearence.