(Not Solved) Humanoid.ChangedHealth doesn't work for NPC's?

Hello everyone, Yesterday I tried to add a health bar to an in-game NPC. And the issue with it is that the Humanoid.ChangedHealth event doesn’t run at all. I tried using Changed and GetPropertyChangedSignal, but with no success. This is the script:

local humanoid = script.Parent.Parent.Parent:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
local TextLabel = script.Parent:WaitForChild("HealthLabel")
local Head = script.Parent.Parent
local HealthBar = script.Parent
local GreenBar = script.Parent:WaitForChild("GreenBar")
TextLabel.Text = humanoid.Health.. " HP / " ..humanoid.MaxHealth.. " HP"

humanoid.HealthChanged:Connect(function()
		TextLabel.Text = humanoid.Health.. " HP / " ..humanoid.MaxHealth.. " HP"
		print("life changed")
end)

The script is located in a Billboard in the Characters head. I tried making a new NPC, that was to no success either. Thank you for your help in advance.

2 Likes

Seems to be working fine for me, are you sure there are no errors in the output?

1 Like

There should be errors or warnings that show up in the output. The only theories I have, given the above information, are:

1. humanoid is not found.

• The name of the Humanoid may have changed, or is initially different.
    • WaitForChild is misused. See second theory.
    • The location of the Humanoid relative to the Script is different. Assuming the GUI is a descendant of a Model, use FindFirstAncestorWhichIsA. See the modified code below.
  2. WaitForChild is not appropriately used.

• Only use WaitForChild if you expect an object to be inserted at a later time.
    • A better alternative is to just use FindFirstChild and other similar functions, particularly FindFirstChildWhichIsA. This function will check for an Instance that inherits a certain class (or is related to the object type).
    • Usage: local humanoid = parent:FindFirstChildWhichIsA("Humanoid")

Modified code:

The following code is not tested.

local Character = script:FindFirstAncestorWhichIsA("Model")

local Head = Character:FindFirstChild("Head")
local Humanoid = Character:FindFirstChildWhichIsA("Humanoid")

if not Humanoid then
	error("Humanoid not found.")
end

local gui = script.Parent

local healthBar = gui
local greenBar = gui.GreenBar
local healthLabel = gui.HealthLabel

local function refreshHealthBar()
	healthLabel.Text = `{Humanoid.Health} / {Humanoid.MaxHealth} HP`
	print("life changed")
end

refreshHealthBar()

Humanoid.HealthChanged:Connect(refreshHealthBar)
2 Likes

@Y_VRNDLL The code you provided still doesn’t work, the code runs one time at the start and makes the HealthLabel = 100 / 100 HP. Also, the code runs the second time when the NPC dies showing 0/100. I’ve changed all the WaitForChild functions I had, but that doesn’t resolve the main issue, but thanks for making my code a bit neater :"). So basically to summarize the problem again, the code finds the Humanoid, changes it’s parameters once, and then does it again only when the player dies. Soo I still believe it’s the HealthChanged event that’s not working properly. Thank you for your response. :slight_smile:

@Ionely_traveler Nope, not a single one :frowning:

• List item

Your script works for me. I added print(“done”) at the end to check that is was not stuck in WaitForChild before the event gets connected.

I had misspelled the label at first, then the script never runs. I have it as a server script.

The damage script has to be serversided, is the script that the damage is being run on server script or, a local script that sends a remote for dmg?

1 Like