[Now in Full Release] Automatic Skinning Transfer Beta

This sounds awesome, but this image is going to be burned into my mind for eternity

40 Likes

Two steps into the uncanny valley, one step out of it. Nonetheless, this looks quite impressive!

9 Likes

Will be very interesting to see the creative avatar asset combinations this will be used for, especially its integration with voice chat. Will we see more expressive emotes in the future which combines existing avatar animations in the catalog with facial animations?

4 Likes

This is lovely, but there’s one issue:

It wasn’t my intent to NightDev today…

10 Likes

But how to we will know what is it that can be of need helped to do a script

2 Likes

While I personally have mixed feelings about face controls, layered clothing and whatnot (honestly feels kinda weird to me), I must admit that the technology advancement part of Roblox is actually impressive. Especially within the recent few years. I started back up on Roblox in 2018 from a 3-year hiatus and even when I first came back, if you told me that mesh deformation was going to be implemented and would become this advanced on the platform, I wouldn’t have believed you.

5 Likes

In the future all emotes in the catalog will include a face animation! Even Avatar Animation packs (running, walking, jumping) will include a face animation that will bring your avatar to life!

8 Likes

This is awesome. I have to give this a try.

2 Likes

Its Very Good Feature but what happened if i use headless head?

6 Likes

If you’re referring to a headless head as a fully transparent Dynamic Head, then yes, the face accessories will still deform properly as seen in the image below!

11 Likes

I believe that @1r_ai was referring to the head in this package: Headless Horseman - Roblox

4 Likes

yeah… this is quite horrifying…

2 Likes

what exactly do you mean you mean by

?

no, it’s the future of the metaverse!!1

1 Like

Not sure if this was said in the post (i understand 2% of anything said in the post), but will this be forced onto old avatars?

this is legit scaring me

3 Likes

No. This post isn’t specifically about the faces, but it’s about the technology that allows accessories like beards and glasses to wrap around all types of heads including dynamic heads. They’ve mentioned numerous amounts of times that they won’t force Dynamic heads into players.

2 Likes

These beards just need a nice texture! The sharp contrast with the goblin makes it look like electrical tape!

2 Likes

Hi Developers!
Today we are releasing Automatic Skinning Transfer out of beta!

So, what does this mean?

It means that Automatic Skinning Transfer can be enabled for any Layered Clothing asset in a live experience. This allows accessories to be deformed properly without having to build skinning into the asset itself.

While Automatic Skinning Transfer was in beta we ran performance tests to ensure that this tech did not materially affect the performance of any live experience. We are constantly looking for feedback so let us know if you encounter any issues!

So, what’s next?

Currently, Automatic Skinning Transfer doesn’t work on blocky-type bodies that are not skinned. We are working on extending auto-skinning to work on layered clothing items for bodies that are made out of rigid parts without skinning.

We have also released new documentation around creating a Face Accessory, you can find that here: Link

Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.