NULL_POINTER_READ causing Crashes

For about two weeks, my team and I have been having constant crashes within a few minutes of afk/playing our game, whether it be in studio or through the Roblox player.

There are no in-game errors, the game just hard crashes randomly

Associated Place: Secret Project - Roblox
Associated Files: A private message containing the associated files
Visual Aid: A video of the game crashing

A private message is associated with this bug report

8 Likes

Really wish I had some more information, hopefully the crash dump can pinpoint something. Being able to playtest for only 1-5 mins before a crash got annoying very fast :smiley:

I’m pretty confident it isn’t related to any Hyperion issue as it isn’t enabled for studios nor is the crashing behavior really consistent with a Hyperion crash.

I went down a tangent thinking it might be related to this exception while signaling: bad_weak_ptr error which i’ve been getting recently when using Persistent Per Player on a model but I’m not really confident this is the root issue. I’ve attached a repo for that specific issue below if it helps but once again I don’t believe its related.

I also want to be clear because the bug report was a bit vague, this is a specific game issue not a general platform issue. The crashes only occur in my game. Crashes are inconsistent in nature and don’t happen every time, but typically happen within 1-8 minutes of playing the game.

repo.rbxl (56.5 KB)

2 Likes

I have also been experiencing these somewhat frequent crashes, although for me the behavior is inconsistent. For me, problems started for me when v601 came out, which would be around 2 weeks ago now.

I also updated to Windows 11 23H2 around the same time this started happening, so perhaps that could have to do with it.

2 Likes

I think it might be related to something with the microprofiler. I have noticed that if I open/close it or just generally interact with it I can get it to crash pretty consistently. I’m unsure if its the root issue but it seems to start a time bomb that results in a crash.

3 Likes

We are looking into fixing this exception, but in our testing it doesn’t seem to be related to any crashes.

Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce this crash yet.

1 Like

Was the crash dump able to provide any information? Anything that I could potentially use to narrow this down? I’ve been trying for the past few days to get a consistent repo but due to the lack of consistently and very little information around this crash I haven’t been able to get far.

2 Likes

It’s quite hard to get a repo of the crash as even in the associated place it doesn’t crash all the time / at the same time.

Sometimes it crashes within a minute or two, other times it doesn’t crash for +5 minutes, even while afk in the game

1 Like

Unfortunately, no, anti-cheat protection makes heap dumps captured using external tools mostly unusable.
We tried to find our own crash reports related to your experience, but couldn’t find any.

Anything that I could potentially use to narrow this down?

An example as a public game will be easier for us to check.

1 Like

I’ve made the game linked above public. You should be able to join and have some default data loaded to help repo this. You don’t need to do anything other then join the game and just wait. I typically alt tab and it crashes within 8 or so minutes, If not I recommend just rejoining. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

And just for consistency I still am able to experience consistent crashes in studio and in game.

1 Like

Thank you, I was able to reproduce the crash.

Studio crashes would be helpful as they are not scrambled by Byfron.
But now we might not need one, will look at the one I have.

2 Likes

We have a fix for the crash ready internally, but it hasn’t been released yet.
I’ll post an update when that changes.

5 Likes

This issue has been resolved. Please tell us if you still experience the issue (version should be 603)

6 Likes