NView: A server to client data sync class (Library dump)

NView: Your Server-to-Client Replication

Heyo!

I’ve been deep into the development of my latest game and found myself needing a more streamlined way to handle server-to-client replication, one that does not make use of precious Remote resources. So, I put together a simple class I’ve named ‘NView’.

[WHAT?]

what the heck is NView?

NView is a straightforward server-to-client replication system I cooked up for my own use. It’s no miracle tool, but it gets the job done. Without using a single remote event, NView enables automatic data syncing between server and client.

This handy tool has served me well in my own development process, and I thought it might be useful to other developers in the community too.

[HOW?]

To use NView simply create a new instance of nview with your attached instance as the parameter.

This is for example an NView wrapped around a player:

Server

local TargetPlayer = game.Players.BrianNovius
local PlayerView = NView.new(TargetPlayer)

PlayerView.Health = 100
task.wait(10)
PlayerView.Health = 50

Client

local myPlayer = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local myView = NView.new(myPlayer)

myPlayer.ValueChanged:Connect(function(valueName, newValue, lastValue)
    if valueName == "Health" then
        print("My health changed to: "..newValue)
    end
end)

print("My health now is: "..myView.Health)

[WHY?]

I personally use NView to avoid using up remote calls, as well as avoiding the need to sync data to players that joined a new server. For example, if we have a Gun class with information such as Ammo and StoredAmmo, a newly joined client can simply get this information from the NView instead of having to ask the server for it. This is great for moments where a newly joined client wants to pick up a gun from another client.

[WHERE?]

You can find any information you need here :slight_smile:

[HELP???]

Leave a comment, If I’m online I can try to help you.

[CHANGE!!]

I’m uncertain if this will be updated any further, this is currently a dump straight from one of my games’ codebase. If I make any changes to it in the future I’ll try my best to update it on this github too. I’m open for suggestions or changes but it’s unlikely that I’ll be implementing them.

[Dependencies]

Sleitnick/signal

[Credit]

Credit where credit is due:

• Sleitnick for the Signal class
  • TheNexusAvenger for NexusInstance & NexusObject
1 Like

Couldn’t you just use SetAttribute on the server and GetAttributeChangedSignal on the client? I don’t see why you would need this.

Attributes do not support tables nor instance values. Other than that, it’s way cleaner to use this class compared to doing that on every object you want to handle.
Yeah, you can do that, that’s up to you.

is this safer from exploits or the same security level? also your wally thing doesn’t work unfortunately, so would you mind putting proper wally support?

anyways cool resource

1 Like

There’s no wally support. But I can try adding it if you want :slight_smile:

true, but why is there a wally.toml file in the repo???

it’s a dependency list
that’s about it

1 Like