OBBIES EVOLVED - The Blueprint for Future Obby Games

OBBIES EVOLVED

This game is a showcase for what obby games of tomorrow CAN be.
Many of the in-game objects and mechanics are not hard to do at all. That’s the point of the design. Obby games are and should always be the type of game that represents a starting point for a development journey on Roblox. However, this simplistic design can be pushed to greater creativity.

There aren’t many game passes, as this showcase is here to inspire rather than make a buck. My creativity is endless, and I have plenty of other ideas at hand.

Early Predecessors
Unnamed Game
Obby games are not a new idea on Roblox, but my vision for a game like this surprisingly isn’t new also. The first time I wanted to make an obby game even remotely like this one was back in 2013. I don’t remember the name of the game, but I still have the place saved. The name has been given Old Obby Concept as a placeholder. The game was inspired by Super Mario 3D Land, but looks nothing remotely like it. It resembled an open world style, impressive for 2013 obby games, but was still constrained to traditional obby elements. The game didn’t really go anywhere in terms of success.

Obby World
This game was the next attempt at an unconventional obby game, but unlike the first game, it wasn’t fully open world. Instead, it had a world map and then individual levels to play, similar to many 3D platform games on console.

Various Other Projects
I made another obby game called Escape The City Obby that was directly inspired by City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2. It wasn’t anything spectacular, and in fact, it was the closest I came to making a conventional obby game.

Speed Run games were the trend back in 2014 - 2016ish. I joined in on the trend making a Speed Run game on a throw away account that I since can’t find. The funny thing is that game on that throw away account received more visits than I ever did on this account prior to 2025.

Today