Obby Maker Open Source

Hello fellow friendly developers,

I am looking for feedback on this obby maker game, about what I should focus on, if I want to improve it.

It does not attract much attention as it is, so I guess something is missing compared to the other obby makers / obby creators out there.

I am thinking of some options:

• simplifying the UI
  • adding more badges, like a welcome badge
  • adding more stage types like maybe a “climb a wall” stage type
  • adding a few more customizability options, like pick a custom song, pick a terrain below the Obby (like lava) or select a font face for the text
  • adding an obby “progress bar” with the head of the user in the top
  • add a benefit if the player joins the group
  • refresh the “lobby” area and the “finish” area (my building skills is the limit here, though)

But honestly, maybe it is also an option that yet another obby maker is not going to catch on, even if it is open source.

I would love to hear what you think! Anybody who might want to get directly involved is also welcome to join the group or reach out elsewhere like a DM on the devforum.

3 Likes

Alright, so, first and foremost, user experience (UX) is important, and because it is, we don’t want the UI tipping players off, for being too overwhelming. The initial user interface is good, however, when you enter the obby creator, the font of the text makes it hard to understand what’s going on for up to a whole minute, if not even more. It would be smart to change the font to something that is easier to read, such as Gotham or Arial (yes, albeit they look basic, they are a lot easier to read).

Alongside this, you want to make sure that all of the obby creator UI is intuitive, which means that players should be able to understand the functionalities through either straightforward and descriptive text, or icons. Icons may be significantly harder to do right though, so I recommend going with text.

Secondly, there is no form of reward for making an obby at all, a lot of players do not want to spend time on something unless they are rewarded for it, an example would be adding a way to monetize your obby, by adding shirts that will give you a special type of tool which will assist in doing the obby, and adding shirts for donations in general. This will encourage players to create their own obbies as they can make some profit from it.

Lastly, you want to keep on adding more features to the actual obby creator itself, or should we say content? It’s important for a creator to be able to express themselves when making their obby, with this said, you should either remake the obby creator to act more or less like Roblox Studio, and let them be able to fully and freely decide how they want their obby to be, or you could just add enough content for the obby creator to allow for a lot of customizability. If you decide to go down the Roblox Studio path, it might be smart to make it an option rather than the default way of creating an obby as that would save all of the progress you’ve made so far with your obby creator.

Note: Be turn music on by default, as people might never discover the music feature if it’s left turned off by default!

You’re already onto some other things as well with your options, so explore those fields more!

1 Like

What can I say, thank you so much! Having a second pair of eyes on things is so valuable. I think you have several good points, and things I can get to work on, too.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

1 Like

51 days, that is how long it took me to rework the UI. Maybe I simply don’t have time for Roblox. :slight_smile:

What do you think of the new design? I tried using tab pages, and more viewportframes and other forms of visual icons.

Making a UI that works both on my PC an my phone was not easy.

I am not so sure this game idea is going to work - maybe a procedural / builder “combo” obby game was not a great idea to begin with. But very challenging.

It’s a lot better, as a matter of fact, I’ll have to admit that it looks pretty cool.

Yeah, UI is a pain to make but once you have the final product you get a good feeling.

Well if anything, it’s an experimental idea, and I advise you to open up suggestions for it, and to keep asking people what they would want in the game if they were to play it. Gain feedback on the core gameplay loop and try improving it for some time. If it doesn’t end up working out, don’t be disappointed in yourself as you’ve learned a lot of things making this project regardless at the end of the day.

Great work so far and good luck continuing the work on the game!

1 Like