Object Insertion window drops FPS

Reproduction Steps

If you look in the bottom right corner you’ll see that my FPS drops constantly when enabling / using / disabling Object Insertion window.

My Laptop Specs

Dell G3 15 3500

GPUs:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
  • Intel(R) UHD Graphics

Expected Behavior
FPS to remain at 60

Actual Behavior
FPS drops by 80%~

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Freezing
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-02-20 00:02:00 (+07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-07-21 00:07:00 (+07:00)

16 Likes

I have the same issue, when i try to insert an object or select a tool (move, scale, rotate, etc) then my studio freezes for about 0.2 seconds and sometimes completely stops responding.

5 Likes

Hmm… I’m getting FPS drops but I also randomly get them without opening the IO menu.

(Running Windows 10 latest edition with Studio latest)

I noticed you have Vanilla icons. Is it possible that the Mod Manager is causing the problem?

No, I’m not using Mod Manager

I have the same issue but with the [Select, Move, Scale, and Rotate] input delay.
The delay is on all of my places, I have even tried it on a new baseplate.

Trying to resolve the issue, I have tried the following:

• Starting on a new baseplate
  • Disabling all beta features
  • Uninstalling all plugins
  • Reinstalling after deleting all local files

The delay is not very big about 0.5 - 1.5 Seconds, but it’s really bugging me.
The delay is always there and it has a high impact as well.
I have been experiencing this issue today only, I have not opened the studio in a while now.
Hope this issue gets resolved.

P.S:
For anyone who is having this issue as well, try using the F3X tool plugin as a replacement!
Don’t let a bug stop you from working and keep going! ^-^

6 Likes

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one with this issue!

I’m having the exact same problem, where when I switch tools either by clicking on them or with the keybinds, there’s a small delay with a noticeable drop in FPS to about ~45 for about 0.5 seconds.

This isn’t a major issue but it’s genuinely getting on my nerves and noticeable slows down my building flow.

There’s also a 1-2 second delay in both opening and closing the object insertion window, and while it’s open the FPS drops to ~45 like with switching tools, exactly like the video in the OP.

Another issue that might me related

I’m also noticing a slight drop in FPS when selecting a new instance, and the drop is bigger when I select an instance with a different parent than the previously selected one.

I’m using an Intel i7 with 6 cores running on 3.6GHz however I’m not sure if my PC is the issue.

1 Like

Can you put that in my other thread thanks :blush:

2 Likes

Happening for me too, since earlier this morning

1 Like

Update: The delays have started becoming bigger up to 1-3 seconds when switching between tools.
It doesn’t necessarily increase when the part count is high or the map size is big, it’s the same on a new empty baseplate as well.

2 Likes

That’s really weird because for me the delays decreased to about 0.2 - .5 seconds! Maybe the delays randomly fluctuate, however I can’t think of a bug that can create a weird outcome like that. The IO window still lags my studio down to ~45 fps and has a delay of 1-3 seconds when I open it.

1 Like

Same goes for me. I used to have an i5 potato laptop earlier and it ran literally without any problems, I got a new PC last week, fiddled with g sync and everything I could, but it wont stop the delay and its very annoying.
PC specs:
i7 10700 8 core CPU @2.9 GHz
RTX 2060 Super 8 gb
16 GB of RAM
1tb ssd and another 1 tb of hdd, both are having 800 gb+ free space
2 monitors plugging into rtx (both 144hz)

For me everything in studio freezes for those 0.5 seconds, for example water and other stuff, this is the most annoying bug I ever faced. Studio needs to be more friendly with higher end PCs.

As soon as I open either the asset manager or the tooblox my studio HEAVILY lags and drops fps down to 10 fps, same goes for script editor, using it in the window makes typing impossible, popping the windows out is a workaround but its just impossible to navigate between scripts that way. I bought this computer purely for development purposes, dont tell me I wasted my bucks. had to study for 5 hours consecutive and score 95% to get it :frowning:

These bugs are heavily impacting my development experience. If I use my laptop it overheats. If I use my pc these bugs occur. What kind of machine do you want, Roblox?

EDIT: this issue started happening today itself. As soon as i play test in studio 1000 errors come up in the output and the game takes 2 minutes to fully start. It was a completely empty baseplate with nothing, nothing, just nothing. I’d request @Roblox to look into the matter immediately

1 Like

Happening to me too, a real pain, slightly helped by reinstalling but it’s still pretty slow.

Any news on this being fixed or even noticed? It’s been around (edit) 10 days and I’m starting to dread opening Roblox Studio knowing that I’m going to have to endure these micro-freezes.

It seems to be getting worse with switching tools, where if I rapidly switch tools without waiting for the freeze to finish, Studio freezes for 10+ seconds. This happened to me once and I was terrified I would lose all my progress, and I’m not sure I’ll be so lucky if there is a next time.

6 Likes

I’ve had these freezes for a few days now and especially while switching tools. This has indeed been getting worse and worse over time with longer freezes that sometimes last for half a minute. Now it got to the point where it completely broke the move dragger, making it unusable. Can’t select it, can’t move it and it’s stuck in the same place with its huge arrows, giving me the same error each time I try to select it. However, the other tools seem to be still usable.

Here’s the microprofiler dump if that helps.

(Can’t upload to the devforum for some reason so I uploaded it somewhere else)

The issue persists with all beta features and plugins disabled on launch, and even on new baseplates.

I’m currently running on:
Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz
12GB of ram
GT 1030 2g
250GB ssd (103GB free)
One internal and one external HDD’s, each 500GB with more than 50GB free

5 Likes

mine also applied but NOT only object insertion

I selected some parts and it froze for 0.5 seconds
I exported some viewmodel but ended up crashed while using blender exporter plugins even though it’s faster to process than before (please don’t blame my specs, it’s not from the hardware)

now I’m stuck with basic tools and I can’t almost make anything (I’ll give a video soon)

I am currently having the same problem being that switching tools causes a lagging delay, regardless if there are any windows open, and like how other people have said, happens even on a empty baseplate.

1 Like

After some digging in micro profiler, I concluded that object insertion FPS drop (the OP issue) and problems with move, rotate etc tools are NOT related.
In case of object insertion window, the frame is almost empty, with some noname thing taking up space:

However, in case of switching building tools, micro profiler seems to point at… HTTP requests???

This is so weird and broken. Someone needs to report this.

4 Likes

i think it got fixed

Maybe because the topic i create in Development discussion bring attention to them to fix (Recorded today)

(source from my twitter post)

2 Likes

I issue has been resolved for me as well. I am no longer receiving lag spikes.

It should drop your FPS down to near 40~ since if you deselect Studio, it will cap it down to save on resources.
The object insertion UI acts like another window, so it is treated like you are no longer focusing Studio.

1 Like