Ocean Waves (“Rebelling” the use of terrain water)

I think I have made something pretty cool. Waves! These aren’t for looks and decorations, they are swim able (and soon drown-able) They also work on my own custom made ships! Best part: It doesn’t require a beefy computer! I have the worst budget laptop, and even with medium graphics I get 40-50 FPS (same as front page games)

Here is some sunrise stormy waves:

Here are some calm:

Video

What are your opinions? How do you think I can improve on them?

32 Likes

pretty rare to see someone putting effort into terrain water, nice job

6 Likes

They look really good - could you tell me roughly how you did it? I would love to make my own version for my game? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks really good, but do you have a video of it?

2 Likes

people aren’t going to agree with me, but 40-50 FPS on front page games isn’t the worst budget laptop. That’s actually decent. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

well I have an AMD-9 processor, and 4 GB of ram. I also tested it on my phone and it seems to run well. But my budget laptop was released this year.

Well, the point is that it runs quite well for the level of detail the wave has

2 Likes

That make sense. Also, I have a question. Does your phone run as well as your computer on Roblox?

1 Like

It actually runs better than my laptop. I assume it has a better processor, but it has 3GB of RAM

Also keep in mind I usually play at 1 graphics, but I could see myself getting 20-30fps on my laptop at medium graphics

1 Like

I thought I was the only person that had my phone run better. #Justice for PC’s

I still don’t understand why though. Lol

2 Likes

I know for sure mobile devices are more optimized. Max graphics on mobile is the same as medium graphics PC. There’s probably alot of internal optimization aswell. If you use Apple devices, Apple has powerful processors (compared to other mobile devices) which also may contribute.

1 Like

Only problem is that the waves barely move. Too bad MeshDeformation hasn’t been fully finished yet >:(

2 Likes

Once mesh deformation is added, Im definitely going to add wakes, and natural wave movements. Im really excited about it, and I’m glad roblox is realizing the importance of it!

Maybe try the Studio Beta (if you got it before it was closed) to use mesh deformations before they’re finished! I’d like to see a video with waves actually like

waving, you know?

1 Like

I‘m not fully sure where to try it. Or more specifically how. I enabled the meshskin, or whatever it was called in studio beta. But I can’t seem to find it.

I have watched the terrain waves by roblox and saw how it’s mesh gets deformed, so I know how to do it and such.

I use a phone that’s using Android. So I’m not lagging that bad on most front page games. Is the reason why phones don’t lag a lot a Roblox or phone thing?

1 Like

I‘m not sure, I would have to say 50/50 between the phone and roblox. I‘ve seen some old mobile devices (2014-15) that get 20 FPS in frontpage games. From what I’ve heard, roblox has done alot of things to keep mobile performance high, while still making the playability the same or very similar to PC.

1 Like

It’s got little to do with your operating system and more to do with the specs your phone has. If you’ve got a flagship phone of samsung or apple, in the past 2 or so years, then you should have little to no problems running any roblox game. Once your device specs hit a certain point, no amount of bad code or large amount of parts is going to affect how well the game runs on your device compared to how well it runs on a pc.

Good point. I have a Galaxy S8 so it’s not too old but it’s not new at the same time. And my laptop is 4 years old. Back then, it could run Roblox perfectly fine. Heck, I had a Mac that ran Roblox fine 4 years back and now it can’t even open Roblox. I need to buy a better, more high end laptop soon.
I feel like Roblox assumes all PC users have a high end computer. :flushed:

Also, I think this conversation is going to get moved for being off topic. If a editor is seeing this, please move it to a separate topic.

1 Like

I also have an S8, and it’s definitely capable of handling everything at at least 7 on the graphics settings.

1 Like

back to the main topic:
Im thinking of adding SurfaceAppearances to the waves, adding more details and a more controlled reflectivity. I‘m trying to make my own texture, but it looks ugly. And there are no online wave textures that include the necessary maps

2 Likes