Official support for local assets in studio

As a designer, scripter, and game developer here on Roblox, my workflow typically involves iteration when it comes to assets (most commonly, images, but this also extends to meshes and sounds).

Due to this, I’ve discovered and have to deal with the following problems:

• Using temporary assets takes too long
  • Putting temporary assets into unpublished places still requires you to go to the website to upload them
  • It takes too long to see what an asset looks/sounds like when you can only upload them to website
  • Since you can only upload them to the website, lots of redundant assets are uploaded to Roblox’s servers and are never used, and only serve to clutter us developers’ create pages

Here’s what I as a developer want to be able to do in studio:

• I want to be able to quickly put an asset into a place
  • I want to be able to see/hear my assets before I put them into the cluttered asset management interface
  • I want to be able to iterate on my assets without having to go through the process of uploading new ones every time

While the current problems are annoying, and I think they should be fixed, for now I believe my suggested solution should be prioritised over fixing them – as it is a theoretically-quick fix that also just speeds up the process of using temporary assets in places.

Currently, we are able to put our assets into the LocalAppData/Roblox/Versions/... directory and they will be able to be locally put into studio. However, this is an unsatisfactory solution to the issue because:

• Navigating to LocalAppData/Roblox/Versions/Version.../blahblah is a hassle – I might as well just upload an asset
  • Local assets will be reset every time Roblox updates
  • This is not official and may not work as intended in the future, as well having no support for bugs encountered in this context

These are issues that are probably interrupting the workflow of every developer (if not that, then designer). Having these issues resolved, or at least having my solution implemented, would improve the experience of developers affected by them.

Example of redundant images

Assets in the red boxes were chosen to be used, when their projects were relevant – and none of them are relevant anymore, so I’d happily delete them all.

Good luck to me if I want to find an older asset.

Thank you.

13 Likes

Perfection:

(I know, I can preview them in my editor, but these were all in relation to other elements :smile: )

1 Like

I would like for roblox to add ways to view clothing in game without uploading it. Currently, if you want to view what an image, sound, clothing, etc. looks like in game to see if it looks right, you have to straight up upload it.

This is problematic in 2 ways :

1. This makes it so that the clothing item is subject to moderation. I have gotten warned several times due to it thinking there was a swear word in the title (shoe minus the s). It also may get you warned if you are using a placeholder / reference in the texture that is copyrighted.

2. User ends up having to upload a lot of stuff. This is unnecessary trafic that could be avoided for both the roblox server and the user, as well as adding textures to their “Game explorer” 's Image folder, where they have to find the specific file that was uploaded and delete it after it has been viewed if it needs change. Also, if the user is simply checking what sound effect fits best in their game, they have to pay the fee for each sound effect even if they end up going completely unused after seeing that it’s not a good fit.

All of this is currently fixable with the use of this plugin, but plugins are not officially supported by roblox, can be malicious, can lose support and never be fixed for future versions of roblox studio and, to be quite frank, are kind of hard to find. Besides, this feature is long overdue and should have been implemented a long time ago.

Said plugin is an excellent example of feature I’m requesting to be added.

3 Likes

This is still a very needed feature. Having to upload non-final assets to Roblox is a huge waste of resources for everyone. People on internet with limited data waste data by uploading and Roblox wastes bandwidth and storage by keeping all these assets

There needs to be a way for developers to easily use local assets in studio without having to upload anything to Roblox

3 Likes