Ok i was dumb back then chill

OMG, THIS IS GETTING OFFTOPIC. If I want to learn from youtube videos to get an understanding then going to dev hub, lemme do it. Lua.org isnt helpful.

1 Like

YouTubers don’t do it intentionally to deceive their viewers they do it because they simply do not have enough knowledge/experience. These youtubers do have good intentions but they often don’t know what they are talking about. Also you are forced to learn at the youtuber’s pace rather than your own.

5 Likes

lua.org is helpful, you should just read it a little more. If I could learn from there, so can you

3 Likes

Answer me this, you probably have watched their tutorials. They have made a tutorial on functions, tell me what was wrong in that video.

To answer this topics question, some videos are worth watching yes. However, I don’t know if there’s up to date ones but I do recommend AlvinBlox on YouTube for more content you can find there. You will find tons of videos describing the basics of Lua. This is just my opinion, so good luck!

I will not publicly answer specific questions about a specific video from a specific youtuber. This is now getting off-topic. I can explain issues in DMs but not here.

1 Like

And I still didn’t get an answer to my actual question lol

The way that I learned scripting was learning from other scripts. I started off with learning how to edit free model scripts and scripts from YouTube tutorials. I then processed that information and I started to learn how to make my own stuff from memory. I started off with AlvinBlox, IceWolfFun, XxxLloyd061302xxX and some others that I’m forgetting about. Basically I used other scripts to learn along with some tutorials.

1 Like

I’m learning scripting as well, I think that The Dev King’s scripting series is a good place to start, it’s pretty basic.

1 Like

If you wanna watch YouTube tutorials check out this series as it teaches you a lot. This is probably the best series out there right now.

Don’t watch the “How to make a game” series as this will only help in that one area and generally won’t help you overall. When you do watch the “How to make a game” series you’ll likely be tempted to skip ahead and copy and paste so avoid doing this.

1 Like

I know. TheDevKing in my opinion is better than AlvinBlox. Because he has humor with scripting. Whenever I watch Alvin, I kind of get bored. But ThDevKing is really good. He actually learned from peaspod.

1 Like

Yeah, after watching I think you should do something like a lesson or some sort, pretend that you are going to teach someone about it after. Anyways, that’s what I’m planning lol.

2 Likes

I am actually currently watching AlvinBlox tutorial videos and taking notes on goodle docs. I use the code he shows and play with it myself and change it.

1 Like

That’s a good start. Good luck!

2 Likes

If you have an issue learning scripting in lua then try learning it first in a more popular language such as python and then come back to lua after, because once you understand the foundation of programming it is very easy to learn new languages. Also, lua.org is an incredible website for learning the foundation of scripting and the content is delivered in a structured and systematic approach. I knew how to code before learning lua, and for learning the basics of programming in general I would advise against roblox youtube lua videos as there main concern is to deliver coding recipes rather than teaching you the concepts.

Also, if you take this approach to learn coding it might actually take much longer than needed. I would recommend you first learn about foundations of programming like syntax, if statements, functions, variable, constants and so on then you start doing lua, that is if you want to learn it quickly.

4 Likes

A reminder that this is not a live chat and if you’re going to praise youtubers back and forth do so in a DM or on Discord.

OP asks if they should continue watching a specific youtuber (restraining yourself to one doesn’t make sense). OP already knew that they would still be doing it despite the replies. So this thread was kinda a waste of time for all parties.

3 Likes

I don’t even know who Peaspod is, I’d highly recommend AlvinBlox, he goes in depth about Lua. I learned from him.

2 Likes

It also seem that developers who say youtube videos are bad probably haven’t even watched them. Because I have watched some very complicated scripting to look how hard it is, and it seems like they are good at it. Also I have checked some of those youtuber’s games and they are pretty well made.

1 Like

How in the world are we able to say this if we didn’t watch them? Spoiler alert: it is because we have.

“Complex” code is not necessarily good code. Good games is not the same as good code. This is comparing apples to oranges.

3 Likes

I did watch them and to be frank the way they code certain things are not very secure or optimized. For example, I dont think I have ever seen a video on youtube talking about the importance of securing remote instances on the server and how to do this properly.

3 Likes