Old ROBLOX stud texture?

I am looking for the stud texture (as well as the other textures) used from 2006 through 2009. I have the actual texture file itself, but it is not transparent. Any help would be appreciated!

What I have so far:
content/textures/Surfaces.png

5 Likes

If I had to guess, they’re part of a DLL somewhere. But I’ve found the alpha of the newer iteration:

1 Like

I have a couple DLL files from the old client, I’ll take a look and get back to you.

I have the old client as well but have not searched through the DLLs or EXEs. If I had to guess, it’s in RobloxApp.

No, I looked through them. Either I am not experienced enough or they are not there.

If you could give it a shot, I am using the 2007 client found by CloneTrooper.

1 Like

I figured it out. It appears that Roblox has used a proprietary format. It’s inside /content/fonts/materials, but I have no idea how to generate or open the materials.

Couldn’t find it in the 2007 one, but found in the 2009 one.

2 Likes

Curious, I looked at my 2009 client. I cannot find a materials folder in the fonts folder, can you please specify which version?

The client version I’m using is 0.18.12.0.

.material format is a plain text format

.cgfx format is a C type file that only includes a:
.cgh format, which is another C type file that is related to lighting

Where the texture could possibly be, I have no idea.

I see. In that case, it might actually be the Surfaces.png but with a shader to make it look brighter on white parts.

Well, I tried seeing if the image had any hidden texture properties. It did not.

At this point, I am stuck. I need the textures but I have no idea how to even approach this problem.

If I was you, I’d hop into an old Roblox game that managed to successfully replicate or find the textures and somehow find the asset IDs of all of them.

Just bumping this, I have had no luck trying to find this stud texture. Any help would be appreciated!

Using the same texture as you, as found by:
Roblox-2007-Client/content/textures/Surfaces.png at main · MaximumADHD/Roblox-2007-Client · GitHub

I used Pratyush’s plugin, ‘Kill Color Keeper’, which allows for converting a specific color into alpha in paint.net:
Kill Color Keeper v 1.2 - Plugins - Publishing ONLY! - paint.net Forum (getpaint.net)
Doing this, you would get this result:

I don’t know if this is the solution you’re looking for, because the transparency might not match 1:1 of the original.

Note: If you haven’t used paint.net before and want to, paint.net is not the actual link for their website, but getpaint.net is.

2 Likes

I tested it, the transparency works as is. Thank you so much!

Hey!
This is a plugin that efficiently allows you to insert plastic textured objects the old roblox stud textures, there are many types that you can insert.

:+1:

1 Like

I’ve figured it out. Old Roblox (and presumably modern Roblox) uses hlsl shaders (the cgh files) rather than use textures making using the old materials in modern Roblox impossible. The best you can do is use the fallback textures or try to replicate the textures but you’ll never get the same look.

Really? Those files only seem to contain information for how much diffusion and other lighting settings a material has.

Check the wood.cgh, specifically the woodCore function
You should see code for generating the wood grain