One month before you can post on forums and group walls

Right now, bots and scammers are stupidly abundant. I think a good solution for this problem would be reCAPTCHA when creating an account like every other service, but clearly since that didn’t work, the next best thing would be waiting a month before new users can post on forums or group walls. There needs to be something done because at the moment group walls are spammed constantly, and it’s impossible to have a normal conversation. It’s too much maintenance to promote every member to a rank that would allow them to post on the wall once someone verifies they’re legit. Please do something about these bots!

2 Likes

The forums have been gone for months, and I have a feeling that the bot owners would just create a queue with the older ones to get around this, not to mention the one month requirement would be terrible for new users.

4 Likes

That’s true, but I can’t think of anything other than a captcha. Now, eventually AI bots might have a way around this, but it’s extremely sophisticated compared to what they have now. Maybe there could be a simple equasion at the bottom that says like "2+5 = " and they have to fill it in.

It would be funny if commenting on the roblox website was for BC users only. Since no one can think of a proper way to limit the bots. Just make them pay.

2 Likes

They’d just use BC accounts they have scammed to post.

1 Like

An option to make group wall BC only would be a blessing. Also a ban user from group option so that they can’t come back.

2 Likes

In my opinion, machine learning is probably the best approach to posting. Google uses a ton of it, and they do decently well. Hence why you don’t see youtube comments mass spam or advertising scams much.

Although it comes with drawbacks, its still the only way to not annoy users with a captcha and allow users to post normally (assuming it learns quickly and doesn’t start thinking normal talk is bad)

2 Likes

Unlike Google, maybe introduce the human element into it by the way of just adding flagged comments/posts to the moderation queue, instead of deleting them outright? Might require a larger moderation team, but it’s not like Roblox can’t support that.

We’ve had dozens of posts here saying the exact same thing, and it’s always come down to the staff saying “if it were that easy we would have done it by now.”

1 Like

but it is that easy - captchas are not that annoying tbh - I don’t know why everyone’s worrying so much about them. Especially in a one-time account creation.

1 Like

No, it isn’t.
And in your opinion they’re not annoying, but they do have a negative impact on convenience.
Let’s also mention the fact that there are captcha farms out there which will solve hundreds of captchas for you for some pocket change.

Honestly the only real solution (captchas) is not an option, so we’re just going to have to live with the bots. They haven’t done anything harmful to the point where Roblox profits or the fun of Roblox has suffered drastically. They’re more like a nuisance. Yes, there are a few cases in which they have scammed users out of major items, but even that number is small thanks to the moderation.

It’s impossible to have a 100% problem-free zone, especially on something as large as Roblox.

“It’s already decent” is never a reason to stop improving though. It can be much better and the amount of scams they do pull off is at least large enough to cultivate the whole creation of smarter scam methods. It seems impossible to get a clear idea of how many of these scams actually succeed (people may be too ashamed to even report them) but the numbers surely aren’t minor.

1 Like

Yeah but there cant be alot

I’m not sure you understand quite how many accounts get scammed every day.

2 Likes

Yeah, in theory it’s good to always try to improve the safety of the platform. However, there is literally no option. Other sites use Captchas which is proven to work, but it doesn’t work for Roblox. Unless Roblox is the first to come up with some magical idea that nobody else has used before, this problem will persist and it’s not damaging to the point where Roblox can’t thrive without destroying the problem.

EDIT: There are other places Roblox (obviously) wants to spend the time and resources they have, and since this isn’t hugely detrimental to the company, this problem likely isn’t a priority.

I also highly doubt, with the extensive history of the internet, that there is any other real solution besides a Captcha, and Roblox has already decided they will not do that.

The possibility of Roblox ever introducing this limit almost none as it would really hurt the user experience.

What Roblox needs to do is actually create a spam filter along with a few other features I mention in this https://devforum.roblox.com/t/improve-wall-filter-system/124034. YouTube is a great example of a platform with a well-built spam filter. To be quite honest, I rarely see spam in comment sections on YouTube. If Roblox engineers were able to develop a spam filter system similar to YouTube, then this would solve the spam issue that we all are suffering from.

1 Like

It was reported that when the forums was up, there was wait requests also Roblox does use Captcha. It’s not typical for you to see them and they are not effective, Maybe introduce reCAPTCHA instead of proving these restrictions. Same reason we can’t auto ban users based on account age.

1 Like