One of my tower defense games is boring

1. A tower defense game I’ve made a while ago is boring. I really like the concept but it seems like the core gameplay is not good.

2. Nobody would ever play this, it’s just boring, even I finished the game (having all eras and towers done)

3. Don’t know what to do

The game:
https://www.roblox.com/games/5679733513/PUBLIC-TESTING-Evolve-Attack

I know the user interface looks really well-made but its a placeholder design

Yes, the game might be a bit similar to evolution evade, but the only similar thing is the fact it has eras, and it’s a tower defense game but it’s extremely different.

Appreciating any feedback, even negative ones.

2 Likes

Dude, all I can say is that you’re trying to run faster than usain bolt without even knowing how to walk.
If this is your first game, it’s fine, let me tell you, of course there is a lot to fix, but I don’t believe you should be going through this route.

This game already exists and has a lot more popularity than this one, let’s say that your game becomes popular by luck, now you split the audience of the other one just because you wanted to hook yourself to their popularity. And not only that, expect backlash because you’re just them, copied through.

If you wanted to make this game popular, though, here’s what I would do.

• First, polish the basic roots, make the players know where to go and how to play.
  • Second, make the game have it’s own mechanics for which it stands out, don’t make it just a copy of someone else’s, make it YOUR game. What I was thinking of is, you could make the tower defense side of things, then you could also be able to control the characters altogether and fight with the rest, coming from a tower defense to a fps in seconds.

But I would not be going through this route here. People don’t make open world games as their first game for a reason: they lack a lot of experience, and they don’t have a team.

If I were you I’d look for something unique, something that has never been done, or that cannot be compared in the roblox community to someone else’s popular game. Just know that there’s two ways of learning, one is learning from other’s knowledge, and the other one is through failing. But so many fear failing that they don’t even try once.

You failed, but that failure already achieved a lot more than many ever could, or tried to. You’re already in a better place than mosts, just keep moving forward.

Want some help in game development? just look for youtube videos on game design, game maker’s toolkit makes really good videos about it.

If I were you, I’d look for a simpler, smaller game. A board game tends to make the job, at least for the moment. What if you made poker? without the robux gambling aspect, it could be fun. What if you made solitaire? or minesweeper?

2 Likes

No, it’s not my first game and I pretty much made it as a joke/side project. I get your point with making something unique being good, but in reality, Roblox is currently full of many unoriginal tower defense games and many of them gain attention, not much but they do, although most of them have around 100 players, that’s still a good amount. Before Roblox was filled with countless simulators and countless tycoons. There are good tycoons and maybe some good simulators, but not much.
I made the post just to see what game design mistakes that game has, the mistakes that make the game boring.

1 Like

None do more than the one with the most time developed, and the most originality.